Student Clubs: Management & Event Planning
The below can help if your club is planning an event!
All student group leaders should read this document carefully. It’s the starting point. The doc explains how to pick a date for a (non 3.5+ hr) event, types of club funding, and much more. These guidelines draw from the Sept. 5, 2018 Student Group Town Hall. After reading this doc, group leaders should review the PPTs and funding/misc. docs found below.
From Penn Law’s Admin Offices and CSR
Read the below docs to find out how these offices can support your group! Business Affairs can help you purchase things, ITS can help you with data storage, Communications can help with graphic design and much more! Read on below.
- To reserve a room for a public (e.g. non-internal group meeting), fill out a Small Event Proposal Form and a Room Reservation Request (go to the “Reservations” tab).
- Business Affairs Quick Reference Guide (offers a list of reimbursable and non-reimbursable items); Business Affairs Memo (booking hotel rooms, working with caterers, etc.);
- CSR Tips and Pointers PPT - contains info about how to interact with CSR and fill out the Budget App and Addendum
- LINK to CSR Budget Application AND BUDGET ADDENDUM - BOTH Due September 20 at 12:00pm! Email firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.
- CSR Transaction Request Form (so Bus. Affairs can pay for things); List of Restaurants to Order From (these are Penn-approved restaurants that Bus. Affairs can pay - and students should NOT pay for things directly, per the U.’s tax reporting protocols).
- Go here to Submit to On the Docket (and advertise your event). (And remember, if you have any security/overcrowding concerns with your event, please get in touch with Dimitri in Student Affairs - email@example.com.)
- CLE PPT from Town Hall (list of contacts in the CLE Office, explains how to attract practitioners to your event with CLE)
- Facilities PPT from Town Hall (how to use Penn Law spaces!)
- ITS Webpage for Student Groups (for info on Penn Box, printing, etc.)
- To borrow Penn Law table cloths and pop-up banners, or to purchase wine from our wine repository for major events, please email our Events Office (Samantha Matthews at firstname.lastname@example.org)!
- Collaboration Fund Request Form - for multiple student groups that are collaborating to put on an event.
- CP&P Funding Request - must be submitted at least 2 weeks before the funds are needed.
- Dean’s Speaker Fund Request Form (can be used to reimburse speakers for reasonable travel and hotel, publicity, and event setup fees). Must be submitted at least 4 weeks before a major conference or symposium, and 2 weeks before funds are needed for a smaller event.
- GAPSA Funding (for events that invite multiple graduate schools - like Law AND Wharton, or Law AND Penn Dental)
- LINK to CSR Budget Application AND BUDGET ADDENDUM - BOTH docs are due September 20 at 12:00pm! Email email@example.com for any questions.
External Fundraising Guidelines (e.g., from law firms) - please read through the guidelines and plan accordingly (groups should seek donations 5-6 weeks before an event). Andy Maynard and Liz Sarshik are your contacts in this office - firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
(For any of the above revenue streams, our Business Affairs Office can DIRECT purchase items/food for you. Per U. tax reporting protocols, students should NOT purchase items themselves and seek reimbursement. Rather, let Business Affairs purchase items for you. Ian Semmler in Bus. Affairs is your contact here - firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Planning Major (3.5+ hr) Events
- Major event planners should read our MAJOR EVENT GUIDELINES. The guidelines tell you what to do when! For major event planners, please read this document - it includes all sorts of instructions, tips, and checklists! What to do 5 months out, 4 months out, etc.
Add’l Forms & Links (Alcohol, Graphic Design, Room Reservations, etc.)
The below forms include info on admin funding, registering for an event with alcohol, and more.
- Alcohol at Law School Events Form (must be completed if students have an event with alcohol, and a licensed caterer is not serving the alcohol. The event must have an educational/academics based component, too.)
- Budget Worksheet (this document gives students a basic budget template to use, which includes brackets for revenue streams, expenditures, etc. for an event.)
- Communications Request Form (to request graphic design support, help creating a flyer, etc.) - must be done 2 weeks before the material is needed.
- Communications Style Guide - for assistance creating student group logos
- Obtaining CLE Accreditation
- Recording Permission Form
- Reserving a Room - use the link (remember, check the Rooms Reserved Calendar AND the Public Events Calendar to find a date. Then, please put YOUR event on the Public Event Calendar by clicking “Add New Event”)!