Skip to main content area Skip to main content area Skip to institutional navigation Skip to search Skip to section navigation

Event Planning

Student groups at Penn Law plan hundreds of events over the course of the school year. These events range from brown-bag lunches, large conferences, lunch-time speaker series, and a variety of social events. Regardless of the type of event your group is interested in organizing, Penn Law has the resources to help you!

For each event, students must request space and ITS needs through the Room and Event Technology Reservations Page, or by making the reservation in a meeting with Julie Colleluori ( Further, students must follow the guidelines set forth within the Student Group Handbook. Finally, students must put their event on our Public Events Calendar, so that the community can see a description of the event. 

For students planning major events (3.5+ hour events) in 2015-16, a Conference Proposal must be submitted.  For events in Fall 2015, we need the proposal by May 15, 2015.  For events in Spring 2016, we need the proposal by July 15, 2015.  

General Policies for Student Groups Can be Found Here (e.g. facilities policies, IT support for student groups, etc.).

Additional documents that can be of help are:

  • Alcohol at Law School Events Form (must be completed if students have an event with alcohol, and a licensed caterer is not serving the alcohol) 
  • Budget Worksheet (this document gives students a basic budget template to use, which includes brackets for revenue streams, expenditures, etc. for an event.)
  • Dean’s Speakers Fund Request Form (can be used to reimburse speakers for reasonable travel and hotel, publicity, and event setup fees)Must be submitted at least 4 weeks before a major conference or symposium, and 2 weeks before a smaller panel event.
  • MAJOR EVENT Guidelines: For groups planning “major” events (e.g. those over 3 hours in length), please read these guidelines carefully.  The guidelines contain checklists on what to do 2 months away from the event, 1 month away from the event, etc.  
  • Recording Permission 
  • Obtaining CLE Accreditation

Students requiring assistance with print & digital publicity should refer to the Office of Communications’ “Request a New Project” form.

Students gather for an event in Fitts Auditorium.

Student Affairs