Current University Students -
Take a Class at the Law School
Law classes are not just for law students. We welcome Penn upper-class undergraduates and all professional and graduate students who are interested in Law School or legal topics.
Because of our commitment to cross-disciplinary legal education, we appreciate the voices of those with varied backgrounds in the Law School classroom. Whether you are interested in exploring the possibility of law school or in complementing your studies in another discipline, we are certain you will find Law School courses that meet your needs. You can learn about courses at the Law School by viewing our current course listings and course descriptions or consulting a list of courses that have been offered in the past. Student’s in any of Penn’s graduate or professional schools who wish to incorporate a legal perspective into their program of study are invited to pursue a Certificate in Law.
Introduction to US Law and Legal Methods — LAW 511001— M, W 10:30-11:50 (3 SH)
Now more than ever a basic understanding of U.S. legal principals is indispensable across a wide array professional and academic landscapes. This survey course introduces non-law students to all aspects of U.S. law through a combination of case law and the Socratic method, both techniques unique to legal education. This methodology stimulates critical thinking and can be valuable whether you decide to enter law school or not. The course explores the structure of government and the constitutional foundations of the U.S. legal system and covers a wide range of topics in the areas of civil, criminal, and administrative law. The course will incorporate recent cases of note into the curriculum and provide an overview of legal issues which impact professionals in a variety of fields, including but not limited to law. This course is open to Penn graduate students as well as undergraduate juniors and seniors. For those interested in obtaining a Certificate in Law from Penn Law, LAW 511 is generally required for those without prior legal education.
To register, please contact Sherita Ragins, email@example.com.
To Enroll in a Law Course
- Students interested in enrolling in a course at the Law School are asked to complete the Request to Take a Law Course Form and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Enrollment will be based on a space available basis.
Information About our Program
- The Law School is conveniently located at 3501 Sansom Street between 34th and 36th Streets – a short walk from all University departments.
- Course enrollment may, in some cases, require the permission of the Penn Law faculty member; students should also consult with their departmental advisors.
- The Law School is on a semester-hour system. 1 course unit (cu) = 3 semester hours.
- Penn Law does not offer a part-time program or a summer session.
- Continuing Legal Education credits are offered at many events and symposia, but not via courses. More
Contact the Registrar’s Office to inquire about taking a Law class:
215.898.6427 / email@example.com