Students who have identified an external pro bono opportunity must fill out a Student-Initiated Placement Form and submit it to TPIC for approval. Students should not begin any self-initiated work prior to TPIC’s approval.
Eligible placement sites include:
- All government agencies and all non-profit organizations other than trade associations, regardless of the political orientation of the organization.
- Assisting private attorneys in pro bono cases.
- Pro bono work on behalf of non-profit community groups is eligible if it meets the above definition and is performed by the supervisor in his or her role as counsel to the organization.
- Work done for a faculty member (other than work on scholarship) may qualify if it meets all other criteria.
- Clerkships with an individual judge do not qualify; however, court projects assisting pro se litigants are eligible.