The following two spreadsheets collect information obtained through calls and emails to chambers in spring 2021. Please note that the spreadsheets do not collect information on whether the judge is or is not following the hiring plan; many judges do follow the plan, which is set out here. For judges with postings on OSCAR, the description in the OSCAR posting may provide that information.
- Circuit Judge Hiring Information 5.12.21
- District Judge Hiring Information 5.21.21
- EMAIL JUDGES 6.14/21(email applications will only be accepted for these judges)
- MAIL JUDGES 6.14/21
Surveys of Penn Law applicants’ interview experiences with numerous judges are in Symplicity. Go to Clerkships then Interview Evaluation. View instructions for accessing Symplicity here.
This resource contains biographical information on all federal judges including a media and lawyers’ comments section.
- Click on view eBook
- Search by judge name
The WestlawNext Profiler - Profiles of Attorneys & Judges allows you to search by a number of fields including Affiliations. If you’re looking for a judge with a background of interest to you, i.e. the Federalist Society, ACLU, this is a good resource.
Lexis: Context (click on waffle icon in upper left):
Search by judge name:
- Overview – biographical information and breakdown of opinions by legal issues
- Analytics – detailed information on rulings, citation patterns and links to opinions
- Documents – access to cases, dockets, documents and news
Lexis: Litigation Analytics (access on left sidebar from landing page):
- Breakdown of judge’s cases
- Compare courts and judges
Lexis: Lex Machina - Courts and Judges (click on waffle icon in upper left):
- Breakdown of court dockets legal issues
- Breakdown of judges’ current cases by legal issues
Lexis: Courtlink (click on waffle icon in upper left)
- View current dockets/matters by judge
- Create strategic files on judges to view breakdown of cases by practice area
Under the Patent Pilot Program, the following districts have established special rules for handling patent cases and assigned specific judges to handle them: EDNY, SDNY, WDPA, DNJ, DMD, NDIL, DNV, EDTX, NDTX, WDTN, CDCA, NDCA, SDCA. For a list of judges who have been assigned under this program click here.
Other districts which handle a good number of patent cases which are not part of this program are: DDE, EDVA, and WDWI.