LLM Job Search
The Office of Career Strategy empowers LLM students to become the CEOs of their own careers. Our programs, services, online resources, and one-on-one counseling provide students with a competitive advantage throughout their careers.
A wide array of services and programming for LLM students include:
- Individualized counseling, including resume and cover letter review and strategic career planning.
- Interview preparation, including a Mock Interview Program prior to the ISIP Job Fair.
- Resources to engage in successful networking and the opportunity to develop networking skills throughout the year.
- Attorney Mentor Program where LLMs are matched with an attorney in NYC, Philadelphia, Washington D.C, or California.
- Support for students pursuing jobs in the public interest, including dedicated counseling, career fairs, and dedicated Fellowship Awards for LLM students.
Frequently Asked Questions
Understanding the U.S. Job Market and Law Firms
Whether you are considering seeking employment in the United States or are planning to return home, an understanding of the U.S. job market can be helpful to you in the increasingly global world. We encourage all LLMs to learn as much as you can about the U.S. legal market (and keep abreast of changes worldwide). This is always true, but especially important now in light of the rapidly evolving legal market.
Biddle Law Library has good sources you may find interesting, including The American Lawyer, The National Law Journal , legal press in cities of interest to you, such as the New York Law Journal, The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times business section.
Read with the following goals:
- What are the general trends in hiring?
- How are law firms evolving?
- What employers, outside of law firms, would be interested in hiring lawyers?
- Which particular practice areas appear to be busy, and which do not?
- How might my skills match up with the needs of the marketplace?
- What connections can I call upon to tie my goals with employers’ needs?
- What can I contribute to a particular employer?
- What are the implications for employers in my home country?
Job Listing Resources
OCS actively solicits job listings for our LLM candidates and graduates from employers around the country and around the world. As these opportunities come to our attention, we may post them to you via email, especially when the time of application dictates a quick response. In addition, employment opportunities are posted daily under Student Job Listings in Symplicity - OCS Data Base of Employers.