You should consider independent applications if you are interested in a smaller geographic market, are interested in employers not participating in OCI or Regionals, or are interested in additional offices of firms that are participating in our recruiting programs (including public sector and government employers),are concerned about your credentials, or would simply like to broaden your options. Last year, over 100 students secured callbacks through independent outreach.
- To apply directly, draft a well-tailored cover letter and send it with a copy of your resume to the recruiting contacts at organizations that you would like to apply to.
- Visit our website for spreadsheets listing employers you may wish to apply to in various locations.
- Look at firm websites to see if they are accepting applications through a firm portal
- Find contact information for recruiting professionals in the NALP Directory - and avoid the need to address a cover letter to “To Whom it May Concern”.
- Email is typically the preferred form of application receipt (as opposed to hard copy), although you should of course follow any specific procedural instructions set forth by the employer.
- For resume collections, click on the Jobs tab in Symplicity and search for the keyword “SRC”.
- Be sure to follow application instructions and to submit all requested materials by the stated deadlines.
- Most of the resume collections have a Jan 4 deadline.
Feedback from students in the Class of 2020, who went through the recruiting process last year, indicated that mock interviews were one of the most (if not the most) helpful things they did to prepare.
- Complete an online mock interview through our InterviewStream software.
- Review our resources on interviewing including:
- Questions you might be asked
- Questions you might want to ask
- Information about behavioral interviews
- Begin to craft answers to anticipated questions specific to your situation.
- Sign up for any remaining slots in the Mock Interview schedules. To sign up, search “Mock” in Symplicity under Events > Workshops , click the Mock Interview option, and select your time slot.
- Schedule a mock interview with one of our career counselors. Sign up for a regular counseling appointment and email the counselor with whom you have an appointment, indicating you’d like to use it as a mock interview.
Reaching out to 3Ls and practicing attorneys (including Penn Law alumni) in preparation for your upcoming interviews can have a strong positive impact on your job search.
- The list of rising 3Ls willing to serve as resources is currently posted on the networking website.
- Review our networking page for additional information about this type of outreach.
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions as you continue to go through the recruiting process.