Skip to main content

What if I’m not really sure about this employer, and have “favorites” I’ve not yet heard from - do I schedule and then cancel later if I hear from the others?

Go ahead and schedule the callback, as far in the future as their calendar allows. As soon as you decide that you are not interested, call and cancel the interview. Employers would rather have you cancel than put their busy attorneys through the paces of an interview when you know you will not accept the job. With that said, you need to give as much advance notice of a cancellation as possible; we suggest at least a few days. However, if you receive the offer of your dreams the night before a callback, it is better to call and cancel than to waste the interviewer’s time.

Please note, if you do decide to schedule an interview far out on an employer’s calendar, it is possible for them to perceive this as a lack of interest. Before electing to schedule a callback far into the future, make sure to weigh the pros and cons of such a decision (consider your level of interest in the employer and the number of callbacks you have already received).