- Reproductive Rights and Justice
- Constitutional Law
- Comparative Constitutionalism
- International Human Rights Law
- Public Policy
Giovanna Parini Bareiro
Giovanna joined the SJD program in 2022. She is from Paraguay and holds a master’s degree in Constitutional Justice and Human Rights from the University of Bologna (2018) and an LL.M. from Harvard Law School (2016). She obtained her LLB with honors from the National University of Asunción (2013).
Giovanna’s academic interests include constitutional law, design and procedure, comparative constitutional law, reproductive justice, international human rights law, and public policy. She is interested in analyzing how constitutional and supreme courts interpret contentious provisions and conflicts, how international human rights law guides constitutional interpretation and adjudication, and how these courts shape domestic laws and policies. Her research at Penn Carey Law School will focus on reproductive rights and justice in Latin America. Professor Anita Allen will serve as her primary supervisor.
Prior to joining the University of Pennsylvania as a doctoral candidate, Giovanna worked in the Judiciary for more than ten years and served as a law clerk at the Supreme Court of Paraguay, working on an array of civil and constitutional cases. She has interned for the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights and acted as a coordinator of the first legal clinic on Human Rights, Technology, and the Internet at the National University of Asunción. She is currently on the editorial board of constitutional law at La Ley Paraguaya and is a board member of the research institute Instituto Paraguayo de Derecho Constitutional (IPDC).
- ‘‘El principio de igualdad y no discriminación en la jurisprudencia constitucional estadounidense’’ published in “Anuario Paraguayo de Derecho Constitucional”, Issue No. 1, 2020, pages 329-355; ISBN: 978-99967-55-33-0
- “Una garantía en crisis: la inconstitucionalidad y sus barreras” published in “Anuario Paraguayo de Derecho Constitucional”, Issue No. 2, 2021, pages 349-386; ISBN: 978-99967-55-48-4
Awards & Fellowships
Scholarship from the government of Paraguay “Don Carlos Antonio López” BECAL (2022-2025)