Healthy Meals: Apple Ricotta Pancakes
These healthy apple pancakes puff to perfection thanks to the right combination of ingredients, including a mixture of double-acting baking powder and baking soda (using both ensures the batter will spread out evenly and rise well). Ricotta cheese makes pancakes moister than using milk alone, and it packs nearly four times more protein than whole milk. Walnut oil is full of healthy fats and has a rich, nutty flavor, and white whole-wheat flour packs in more fiber than all-purpose flour. A bit of buttermilk adds a nice tang to these flapjacks. All in all, it adds up to a healthy breakfast that’s sure to impress.
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon double-acting baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon sugar plus 1 teaspoon, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 medium sweet, crisp apple (such as Honeycrisp)
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 4 teaspoons walnut oil
Prep: 50 min | Ready In 50 min
- Whisk flour, baking powder, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk egg, buttermilk, ricotta, 1 tablespoon sugar and vanilla in a large bowl. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. Let stand until bubbly, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining ¼ teaspoon cinnamon and 1 teaspoon sugar in a small bowl. Core apple and slice into eight ⅛-inch-thick rings (reserve the rest of the apple for another use).
- Heat 1 teaspoon each butter and oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 2 apple rings and cook until starting to soften, about 1 minute. Flip them over and spread ¼ cup of the batter on each. Cook until bubbles form, 2 to 4 minutes. Flip the pancakes, sprinkle with some of the cinnamon-sugar and cook until golden on the bottom and cooked through, about 2 minutes more. Repeat with the remaining ingredients in 3 more batches, adjusting the heat as necessary to prevent burning.
- Serving size: 2 pancakes
- Per serving: 342 calories; 16 g fat(7 g sat); 4 g fiber; 38 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 16 mcg folate; 83 mg cholesterol; 12 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 448 IU vitamin A; 3 mg vitamin C; 251 mg calcium; 5 mg iron; 448 mg sodium; 252 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Iron (28% daily value), Calcium (25% dv)
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2½
- Exchanges: 2 fat, 1½ starch, 1 medium-fat protein, ½ fruit, ½ other carbohydrate