Lemon Bars Recipe
September 18, 2018
Prep Time: 20 mins | Cook Time: 20 mins | Total Time: 1 hour
For the pastry base
- 1 cup cold butter, cut in small pieces
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
For the lemon layer
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- Zest of two lemons, very finely chopped
- Juice of 2 lemons about 2/3 to 3/4 cup juice
To make the pastry base
- Using a pastry cutter or in a food processor blend together the butter sugar and flour.
- Press evenly into the bottom of a greased and parchment paper lined 9×13 inch baking pan.
- Bake for 20 to minutes at 350°F (325°F if you are using glass bakeware).The base should just be beginning to brown slightly at the top edges.
For the lemon topping
- Simply whisk together the sugar flour, eggs, zest and lemon juice until the sugar is dissolved.
- Allow the topping to sit for about 10 minutes before whisking together well again and pouring over the baked shortbread base.
- Bake at 350°F for about another 20- 25 minutes or until the top is slightly browned and the custard appears to be set. Let cool completely.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar when cool or try adding a meringue topping.