Amy Wax, the Robert Mundheim Professor of Law, with co-author Larry Alexander of the University of San Diego School of Law, recently published an op-ed in the Philadelphia Inquirer, “Paying the price for breakdown of the country’s bourgeois culture.” The piece provoked intense debate, as well as strong reactions, across the ideological spectrum.
Compiled below are related commentaries and responses by Penn Law faculty members.
- 8/9/17 op-ed by Profs. Wax & Alexander in the Philadelphia Inquirer: “Paying the price for breakdown of the country’s bourgeois culture”
- 8/10/17 interview with Prof. Wax in The Daily Pennsylvanian: “‘Not all cultures are created equal’ says Penn Law professor in op-ed”
- 8/13/17 article in The DP: “Campus is abuzz over Penn Law professor Amy Wax’s controversial op-ed, which called for return of ‘bourgeois’ cultural values”
- 8/14/17 op-ed from Dean Ted Ruger: “On Charlottesville, free speech and diversity”
- 8/20/17 op-ed from 5 Penn Law faculty members in The DP: “Notions of ‘bourgeois’ cultural superiority are based on bad history”
- 8/30/17 op-ed from 33 Penn Law faculty members in The DP: “Open letter to the University of Pennsylvania community”
- 9/01/17 op-ed from Prof. Wax in The DP: “In response to “Open letter to the University of Pennsylvania community”
- 9/3/2017 op-ed from Prof. Jonathan Klick on Heterodox Academy: “I Don’t Care if Amy Wax Is Politically Incorrect; I Do Care that She’s Empirically Incorrect”
- 9/21/2017 op-ed from Prof. Jonah Gelbach: “Jonah Gelbach Responds to Amy Wax and Jon Haidt”
- 2/22/18 Daily Pennsylvanian article following Prof. Wax Feb. WSJ op-ed, “Amy Wax’s newest opinion piece has reignited a familiar debate at Penn Law.”
- 3/13/18 Daily Pennsylvanian coverage of Prof. Wax’s comments on student performance, being moved from mandatory 1L course, “After ‘disparaging’ comments on black students, Amy Wax barred from teaching first-year course.”
- 3/23/18 op-ed by Prof. Wax in the Wall Street Journal, “The University of Denial.”