Written by Mark Popielarski, Recent Biddle Intern
Does your summer associate or post-graduation legal employment plans entail heading south to the Sunshine State? The Biddle Law Library has compiled a list of free legal resources that you can use to further your legal research projects—and maybe save some money in the process. Constitution The current and historical versions of the Florida constitution are available online.
Florida Supreme Court Opinions and Briefs from 1984-present are available online thanks to a digitization project conducted by Florida State University. The opinions and briefs are available in PDF and can be browsed by docket number or located using the search bar.
Florida Supreme Court and District Court of Appeals Opinions – The official site of the Florida State Court System contains official PDF opinions from the Florida Supreme Court from 1999-present while coverage dates for the different District Court of Appeals vary from the early to middle 2000s. Florida Supreme Court Oral Arguments Online contains an archive of Florida Supreme Court Oral Arguments from 1997-present (although some earlier links are broken). Requires Real Player.Florida Rules of Court Procedure provides complete PDF copies of the Rules of Procedure for the nine different types of state courts.
Legislative & Executive Materials
– Codification of enacted state laws which can be browsed or searched. 1997-present editions are available online.
Florida Session Laws
– Full-text PDF version of statutes as they were enacted. Available from 1997-present.
Digest of General Laws
– Tool used to track changes in codified law made by session laws. Available from 2003-2010.
House and Senate Bills
– Browse or search legislative bills from 1998-present. Provides information concerning a bill’s legislative history and any related bills.
– Contains administrative publications, journals, committee publications, etc. Dates vary based on item.
– Browse journals, schedules, proclamations, and other documents by legislative session. Available from 2003-present.
Florida Administrative Code and Administrative Weekly
– The online version of the Code is updated weekly and serves as an unofficial compilation of administrative rules for the state of Florida which can be searched or browsed by agency. Administrative Weekly is a current awareness publication “about the status of rules moving through the rulemaking process including proposed rules; emergency rules; and notices of change, corrections and withdrawals.” Past issues are available from 1999-present.
– Browse the Governor’s Executive orders chronologically from 2007-present.
Locate information about County and City governments using the following links.