In Canvas, Groups are used as a collaborative tool for students who are working on projects or group assignments. You can organize your students into groups, each with its own Discussions, Pages, Files, Collaborations, and Calendar. Here is how to create student groups in Canvas:
1. Click the People link in the Sidebar of your course.
2. Click the View User Groups button.
3. Click the Make a New Set of Groups button.
4. Configure your new group in the Add Set of Groups menu. Choose a name for the group, how students are added to the group, and how the students will be separated between subgroups.
Note: From this screen you can select whether you would like to assign groups manually or allow the students to sign up themselves.
5. Click the Create Category button to create the new group.