April 4, 2023 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Sonet, the workshop’s facilitator, will lead participants through a series of activities that illustrate the following indispensable employee traits:
- Taking ownership of your responsibilities. Think of your current role and consider how you can use the characteristics and behaviors of an effective business owner to do your job well. For example, owners solve problems. Don’t wait for your manager to solve your problem. Address root causes, research solutions, assess the options, and then present the best choices to your manager.
- Going above and beyond. Expand your sphere of influence by working with new connections in other departments or looking for processes that can be improved even if they’re going well. Take initiative by taking on a project that stretches you and do it anyway. Come up with an out-of-the box idea that could bring value to the organization.
- Performing well under pressure. Keep calm by accepting and coping with your stress so that you can focus on a desired outcome. Also, perform triage to help determine the most critical issues and a plan of action, which may include delegating or requesting assistance.
- Adapting to changing circumstances. Change is hard but flexing your intellectual muscle can make it easier. Increase your adaptability by doing at least one new or different thing each week or talking with people with opinions different from yours.
- Being a team player. Be someone others want to work with. Be pleasant, positive and reliable. Help others perform better by using “power messages” that include words of encouragement, questions to prompt thinking, and calls to action.
- Sharing knowledge. We usually think of being irreplaceable as a positive quality, but irreplaceable employees are locked into a role because they hoard their knowledge, becoming the only ones who can do their job. “As an indispensable employee, empower and show others how you do certain things so that one day they can do those duties and you can work on growing a new skill or focus on work-life balance,” says Sonet.
Register today for the How to Make Yourself Indispensable workshop and set yourself up for success in whatever role you take on.
For more professional development programs, visit the Learn & Grow section of the Human Resources website.