Enter historic Silverman Hall, designed by Cope and Stewardson in 1900, and the grandeur of the building is evident. Off the Great Hall, the site of many receptions, are faculty offices, the Goat student lounge, and a classroom. The Grand Staircase leads to Levy Conference Center, three larger classrooms, journal offices, and seminar rooms. The Gittis Clinic for Legal Studies, seminar rooms and student spaces are housed on the lower level.
Visitors entering historic Silverman Hall from 34th Street, step into the grandeur from another era. Penn Law was first housed in a building near Independence hall in the heart of what is now Philadelphia’s historic district. In 1900, the Law School relocated, to the new West Philadelphia University campus as Penn Law led the national movement to integrate legal education with other fields. The University community and distinguished jurists from across the country gathered to dedicate a new Law School building celebrated as “the most completely beautiful and most beautifully complete building ever designed for the sole purpose of housing a law school.” The exterior of the building, designed in the English classic style of the time by the famous Philadelphia firm of Cope and Stewardson, incorporates shields and medallions bearing the names of great figures in the history of Anglo-American common law.