Enter historic Silverman Hall, designed by Cope and Stewardson in 1900, and the grandeur of the building is evident. Off the Great Hall, the site of many receptions, are faculty offices, the Goat student lounge, and a classroom. The Grand Staircase leads to Levy Conference Center, three larger classrooms, journal offices, and seminar rooms. The Gittis Clinic for Legal Studies, seminar rooms and student spaces are housed on the lower level.
The Gittis Center for Clinical Legal Studies on the ground floor of Silverman Hall serves as the reception areas of what appears to be a small law firm. The Clinic is a multi-faceted clinical law practice and state-of-the-art teaching law office that was opened in 1996 and recently expanded. The Center contains faculty offices, a student lawyering center, video-equipped conference rooms, seminar rooms, and a separate client entrance directly to the street (see next photo). Most of Penn’s renowned clinics are located here, including the Civil Practice Clinic, Entrepreneurship Legal Clinic, Mediation Clinic, Legislative Clinic, Interdisciplinary Child Advocacy Clinic, Lawyering in the Public Interest, Supreme Court Clinic, and the Transnational Clinic. The Criminal Defense Clinic is located downtown, and Externships are off-site. Our newest clinic, The Detkin Intellectual Property and Technology Legal Clinic, will be opening soon.