Each October, the American Branch of the International Law Association (ABILA) presents International Law Weekend (ILW) in New York City. This two-and-a-half-day conference features over 30 panels, and many of the world’s leading international lawyers and diplomats participate.
ILW provides a great opportunity to acquire exposure to new areas, hear debates between legal experts on hot topics, connect with peers and mentors, and gain insights into a wide world of possibilities after law school.
The theme of ILW 2023 is “Beyond International Law,” to be held October 19–21. Registration for this conference is required, but is free for all current Penn Carey Law students.
Penn Carey Law is a proud sponsor of International Law Weekend.
The Office of International Affairs is seeking to support four Penn Carey Law students as the Law School’s delegates to this year’s event. Selected students will be provided with accommodations in New York for Thursday/Friday nights. (Note: Delegates are responsible for their own transportation costs.)
To be considered for this opportunity, please email your statement of interest and resume/CV to email@example.com by Friday, September 22.
ILW 2023 opens at the New York City Bar Association (44 W. 44th St.) on Thursday, October 19, and continues at Fordham University School of Law (150 W. 62nd St.) on Friday and Saturday. Speakers include:
- Ambassador Sheikha Alya Ahmed Saif Al Thani, Permanent Representative of the State of Qatar to the United Nations
- Maxine Burkett, Visiting Professor of Global Health and Social Medicine, Harvard Medical School; former Deputy Assistant Secretary for Oceans, Fisheries and Polar Affairs, U.S. Department of State (TBC)
- Margarette May Macaulay, President, Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (TBC)
- Navi Pillay, Former UN High Commissioner for Human Rights
- Dipen Sabharwal, Partner, White & Case LLP
- Gregory Shaffer, Scott K. Ginsburg Professor of International Law, Georgetown University Law Center; President, American Society of International Law
ILW 2023 also features conference-wide receptions, more than a dozen community and committee networking rooms, and opportunities to meet with legal book publishers. In addition, the program includes a career session for students and young lawyers, book talks, and the opportunity to connect with members of other ILA branches.
Delegates are expected to attend the full session and will be asked to contribute to a blog post reporting on the event.