Each year, the American Branch of the International Law Association hosts a Fall “International Law Weekend (ILW)” conference. The theme of ILW 2022 is The Next 100 Years of International Law. Registration for this 10/20-10/22 conference is free for all current law students.
The Office of International Affairs is seeking to support 4 Penn Carey Law students as our delegates at this year’s event. Selected students will be provided with accommodations in New York for Thursday/Friday nights as well as tickets for the Centennial Gala. To be considered for this opportunity, please email your statement of interest and resume/CV to email@example.com by Friday, September 30.
The audience for International Law Weekend (ILW) includes practitioners, academics, U.N. diplomats, business leaders, federal and state government officials, NGO leaders, journalists, students, and interested persons. There is a broad array of both public international law and private international law topics in each program time slot.
ILW 2022 opens at the New York City Bar Association on Thursday, October 20, 2022. Plenary speakers include:
- H.E. Ambassador Alya Ahmed Saif Al Thani (Permanent Representative of the State of Qatar to the United Nations)
- H.E. Dr. Fatou Bensouda, (Gambia High Commissioner to The United Kingdom and the Commonwealth)
- Mr. Miguel de Serpa Soares (U.N. Under-Secretary-General for Legal Affairs)
- Dr. Christopher Ward SC (Immediate-Past President & Vice-President, International Law Association)
- Judge Ganna Yudkivska (European Court of Human Rights (2010-2022)
The Thursday night program continues with a Centennial Gala at White & Case LLP featuring a keynote address by:
- H.E. Judge Abdulqawi Ahmed Yusuf (International Court of Justice).
The conference continues at Fordham University School of Law on Friday and Saturday, and features 35 panels on a wide range of topics. Keynote speakers include:
- H.E. Ambassador Beth Van Schaack (Ambassador-at-Large for Global Criminal Justice);
- H.E. Justice Richard Goldstone (former Justice, Constitutional Court of South Africa; former Chief Prosecutor, UN International Criminal Tribunals for the former Yugoslavia and Rwanda);
- H.E. Dr. Mamadou Tangara (Minister of Foreign Affairs, the Republic of The Gambia)
The Friday night program concludes with a UN Mission Reception.
ILW 2022 also features more than a dozen community and committee networking rooms and opportunities to meet with legal book publishers. The program also includes a Career Session for Students and Young Lawyers, Book Talks, and the opportunity to Connect with Members of Other ILA Branches.