SUMMARY: Penn’s license for Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) is being retired on May 24th, 2022. If you currently have Symantec Endpoint Protection installed on your personal laptop/computer that you downloaded from Penn’s web site, please read the important information below. Sophos Home is the new antivirus software available for free to Penn Students and for Staff/Faculty personal devices.
Penn’s license for Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) is being retired on May 24th, 2022. To prepare for this change, we recommend that you uninstall the software from all personal devices currently using SEP and install the new Sophos Home product instead. After May 24th, the software will continue to function and provide protection, but only for a limited time. It is recommended to remove this software and install Sophos Home or a different antivirus software product as soon as possible.
The University now provides access to Sophos Home Antivirus Protection free of charge. If you’d like to use this software, go to the following link to download and install the software (PennKey-Protected): Sophos Home Download Page
NOTE: You will need to use your PennKey username followed by @upenn.edu to verify the software installation (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org).
IMPORTANT: You must completely remove Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) and restart your computer before attempting to install Sophos Home.
How do I uninstall SEP from Windows?
Uninstall from the Start menu:
- Select Start and look for the app or program in the list shown.
- Press and hold (or right-click) on the app, then select Uninstall.
Uninstall from the Settings page:
- Select Start, then select Settings > Apps > Apps & features. Or just click the shortcut link at the bottom of this article.
- Select the app you want to remove, and then select Uninstall.
Uninstall from the Control Panel (for programs):
- In the search box on the taskbar, type Control Panel and select it from the results.
- Select Programs > Programs and Features.
- Press and hold (or right-click) on the program you want to remove and select Uninstall or Uninstall/Change. Then follow the directions on the screen.
How do I uninstall SEP from MacOS?
- On the Mac client computer, open the Symantec Endpoint Protection client, and then click Symantec Endpoint Protection > Uninstall Symantec Endpoint Protection.
- Click Uninstall again to begin the uninstallation.
- To install a helper tool that is needed for uninstalling the Symantec Endpoint Protection client, enter your Mac’s administrative username and password, and then click Install Helper.
- If the Symantec Endpoint Protection is trying to modify a System Extension dialog box, enter your Mac’s administrative username and password, and then click OK.
- You may also be prompted to type a password to uninstall the client. This password may be a different password than your Mac’s administrative password.
- After the uninstallation completes, you can click Restart Now.
Additional info regarding Sophos Home can be found at Penn ISC’s Sophos Home page.
For any questions or problems, please contact ITS via email@example.com.