Books & Articles Through FirstSearch
FirstSearch is available only to University of Pennsylvania Law School students, faculty and staff. For books you must check the LOLA, Franklin, and Drexel University catalogs before using FirstSearch. For journal articles you must check LOLA, Franklin, and Drexel University catalogs; electronic journals available at Hein Online and Van Pelt’s Multidisciplinary Electronic Journals; and Infotrieve before using FirstSearch.
MOST ILL REQUESTS ARE FILLED AND RECEIVED AT BIDDLE IN 7-10 WORKING DAYS. PLAN YOUR REQUESTS ACCORDINGLY. LEAVE A MINIMUM OF TWO WEEKS FOR THE MATERIAL TO REACH YOU!!
To Access FirstSearch
2. Read the Document Delivery/ILL instructions and click at the bottom of the screen.
3. Check LOLA, Franklin, and Drexel University Library holdings by clicking on the appropriate link. If not available at any of these libraries, follow the instructions in number 4 on the web page.
1. IMPORTANT: FirstSearch defaults to an advanced search using Keyword s. If you are searching by title, author, subject, etc., click on the arrow in the Keyword box and select the appropriate search category. The system is set to do Boolean searching; you can combine author and book or journal title, author and keyword, etc.
You can choose to do a Basic search by clicking on Basic Search in the left upper corner.
Remember — FirstSearch includes journal titles, NOT journal articles.
2. You can limit your search by year, document type such as books or journal (IMPORTANT: Journals, law reviews, etc., are included in Serial Publications), and language. If you want to search for books or journal titles held at Biddle only, check the box “Items in my Library (PLL).”
3. Click SEARCH once you have set your search strategy.
4. Your search will result in a list of titles that match your search strategy. The number of hits will be displayed at the top of the screen. You can limit your results, see Related Authors or Related Subjects by clicking on the appropriate link at the at the top of the screen.
5. You can mark records that you want to print or e-mail to any e-mail account by clicking in the box to the left of the entry.
6. Click on a title for more information. This will give you a full bibliographic record, including publication type. This information can be very useful in determining if this is the item you need. Check the information on this screen to make sure it is not, for example, an audio, online, or large print version which would affect citation checking.
7. To request the title through ILL, click ILL at the top of the screen.
8. Complete the request form:
FIRST NAME (Required)
LAST NAME (Required)
DATE NEEDED (Optional) Fill in only if you need the material by a specific date at least two weeks in the future. Most ILL requests are filled and received at Biddle within 7-10 working days. If you need your material sooner than that, see Merle Slyhoff (T-212).
COMMENTS: See below. Do not include comments such as Rush, ASAP, etc.
FOR JOURNAL ARTICLES (Required) IMPORTANT!! If you are requesting a journal article, type the citation under “Comments,” in the following format ONLY: v.121, p.543, Jones, Torts claims in Pennsylvania… Do not repeat the title of the journal.
FOR MISSING OR SIGNED OUT BOOKS AND JOURNALS (Required) IMPORTANT! If the book or journal article you need is signed out or missing from Biddle, campus libraries, or Drexel, this information MUST be noted in the COMMENTS section. Type, for example, “Missing Biddle,” “Signed out Biomed,” “Missing Biddle”
9. When you have successfully sent your ILL request, you will receive a message stating “Your ILL request was sent successfully” at the top of the screen. You can resume searching the results of the previous search by clicking List of Records. To do a new search click Searching.
You will be notified via e-mail when your ILL materials are received. Copies do not have to be returned to Biddle unless otherwise noted. Books may be picked up at the Circulation Desk on the ILL shelf. They will be under your last name.ust ask the circulation staff for the ILL materials for “your last name.” In some cases books cannot be removed from the library.
PLEASE NOTE THE “DUE DATE” ON THE FORM ATTACHED TO BOOKS AND RETURN BOOKS PRIOR TO THAT DATE! OVERDUE INTERLIBRARY LOAN BOOKS JEOPARDIZE THE INTERLIBRARY PROCESS.
REQUESTS FOR RENEWALS MUST BE MADE 2-3 DAYS PRIOR TO THE DUE DATE.
Requests for renewals must be made via e-mail to Merle Slyhoff
For assistance with FirstSearch contact Merle J. Slyhoff, T-212, 215-898-9013, firstname.lastname@example.org.