This fund was established in 1988 through gifts from partners and associates in Ballard, Spahr, Andrews & Ingersoll as the firm’s contribution to the Law School at Penn’s Development Program. Pledges totaling $125,000 were made at that time and fulfilled by 1979. Income from this fund is to be used to supplement the Biddle Law Library’s collection in the field of environmental law.
Of all branches of law, environmental law has the greatest impact on how people live and work. An endowed law book collection in this field would include the following kinds of publications:
- Energy development
- Law of the sea and its resources, including fishing rights
- Urban and rural problems, including land use (zoning and housing), transportation, population, growth, health and safety, sanitation, noise control, agriculture (pesticides), food and food additives, and mining
- Air and water protection and pollution, including industrial and residential design and waste, automobile, marine and airplane design, and emissions
Established in 1986 through a gift made by the Honorable Harold Berger (EE’48, L’51), this fund supports the air and space law collection within the Biddle Law Library. It is one of the premier collections of primary documents and expert commentary on air and space law held by a United States academic law library.
Judge Berger was part of a special unit formed at the end of World War II to work with captured German scientists. He worked with Werner von Braun and other German rocket scientists. He continued to work in law and engineering, eventually becoming the head of the ABA’s Aerospace Law Committee.
Judge Berger named this preeminent collection after his parents, Anna and Jonas Berger, to honor them for all that they did to help their three sons — Harold, David, and Ellis — to graduate from various schools at Penn.
The collection includes leading treatises and books, journals, government documents and other primary material, and bibliographies for the use of researchers in air and space law. The collection primarily consists of print materials, but some titles are available in microform, or increasingly, in electronic format.
Researchers from throughout the United States and beyond are welcome to use the collection.
Income from this endowment is used to fund the purchase of materials on First Amendment and advertising law.
This collection is dedicated in memory of Thomas J. McGrew L’70, who specialized in advertising law. He joined Arnold & Porter following his graduation from the Law School and became a partner in 1978. He was appointed the first occupant of the Distinguished Visitor from Practice Chair at the Georgetown University Law Center in 1985.
From 1985 to 1990, McGrew was director and chairman of ANALEX, a developer of software used in the legal and economic analysis of financial institution mergers. He served on several committees, including the Penn Carey Law Alumni Society’s Board of Managers, the Council of Better Business Bureaus, and the American Bar Association’s subcommittee on laws on false and comparative advertising. He also served as chairman of the National Advertising Review Board’s committee on future advertising self-regulation.
The income from this endowment fund is used to award $100 to the winner. Remaining income is used to purchase books in the field of real property and real estate transactions.
This term gift fund was established in 2010 in the memory of former Professor Noyes E. Leech. The winner of this award receives no monetary prize. Each year a portion of the gift balance is used to purchase books in the field of international law to honor Professor Leech and the award winner.
The income from this endowment fund is used to provide a cash award consistent with other prizes. Remaining income is to be used to purchase books in any field recognizing the donor.
This award for excellence in the field of business law was established to provide a $500 cash award to the winner. The award was a condition attached to the 1988 gift of $25,000 from Lillian Bregman to the Biddle Endowment Fund.
Until 2010, this restricted gift account received an annual gift from the donor; the winner received a $100 cash award, and the remaining funds were used to purchase books in the field of trial advocacy. [Note: As of 2010, the Wapner Newman & Wigrizer Award is no longer funded or awarded.]
Unrestricted Endowment Funds
These generous contributions give us the flexibility to meet changing conditions of legal trends, technology, and the needs of our students.
Established in 1998, in memory of S. Harry Galfand L’45 and in honor of Leonard Sarner C’38 L’41 (now deceased)
Established in 1964
Established in 1987, via gift of stock from John Randolph Young L’30
Established in 1958, via bequest under will of Harold A. Freeman
Established in 2000 in honor of Harry Fuiman C’19 L’22.
Established in 1979
Established in 1939, via bequest of Joseph G. Lester
Established in 1977
Established in 1997, in honor of Robert Penn L’60
Established in 1996 from Stanley Newman in honor of Harry Polikoff L’31, on the occasion of Polikoff’s 90th birthday, this endowment is used to purchase books, periodicals, other printed material, computer programs, computer applications, and other data with a preference for the fields of Constitutional Law.
Established in 1997, via bequest from Verna Stein, in honor of her late husband, William L’28, this fund is used to purchase books, journals, and other materials with a preference for those which will facilitate the study of real property law including land use and development, real estate finance and taxation, landlord and tenant law, zoning, and urban development.
Established in 1938
Established in 1978, to allow for the dedication of appropriate books in the Biddle Law Library in memory of deceased classmates
Established in 1965 for acquisition of suitable books for the Biddle Law Library with a preference for the subjects of individual and human rights
Established in 1928
Established in 1956, via contribution from Edwyn Silverberg W’35 L’41. Used to acquire law books, with a preference for those in the field of medical jurisprudence, for placement in the Law School Library.