Metadata and Systems Librarian
The Biddle Law Library at the University of Pennsylvania Law School is seeking a service-oriented individual to serve as the first Metadata and Systems Librarian at a law school that prides itself on cross-disciplinary studies.
The Metadata and Systems Librarian is responsible for managing catalog metadata, including production and quality assurance; analyzing and executing bibliographic record loads into the catalog; overseeing authority control processing; monitoring and managing outsourced contract cataloging and shelf-ready processing; and supervising the support staff member responsible for table of contents authority work, material labeling, other final processing, metadata uploads into archival display software, and limited library-initiated law school archival assistance. This librarian also provides key support for the library’s integrated library system and plays a unique role in ensuring that the Biddle Law Library takes full advantage of existing technologies as well as investigates and adapts new technologies in acquiring, organizing, and presenting legal information to its faculty, students, and other users outside the law school. Furthermore, this librarian supports and maintains the library’s digital collections; identifies and implements appropriate metadata standards; and works with all the librarians and other members of the law school in promoting content to the library’s web pages and applications. The Metadata and Systems Librarian also supervises a second support staff member with responsibility for metadata- and systems-related tasks, faculty appointments committee work, and faculty publication and Institutional Repository support.
Reporting to the Associate Director for Technical Services, the Metadata and Systems Librarian performs the following duties:
- Manages catalog data, establishing and documenting all necessary policies and procedures; oversees production and quality control functions; oversees vendor bibliographic record loads; hires, supervises, trains, and evaluates one support staff member responsible for table of contents authority work, material labeling, and other final processing;
- Performs original cataloging work when necessary;
- Creates and maintains library catalog load profiles;
- Oversees authority control processing;
- Monitors and manages outsourced contract cataloging and shelf-ready processing;
- Disseminates monthly “Recent Library Acquisitions” list via e-mail;
- Has responsibility for the overall administration, customization, maintenance and troubleshooting of the library’s integrated library system, currently Innovative Interfaces, Inc.’s Sierra, including the WebPAC, the Encore discovery layer and Encore Harvester tool; hires, supervises, trains and evaluates one support staff member responsible for systems-related work, faculty appointments committee bibliographic work, faculty publication and Institutional Repository support, and CONTENTdm metadata template creation;
- Monitors system performance; suggests and coordinates system software and hardware upgrades; trains staff on system modules and new releases, documenting all necessary policies and procedures; monitors industry developments and recommends adoption of new programs when appropriate;
- Serves as liaison to library staff , patrons, and the ILS vendor regarding system issues;
- Assists the Associate Director for Technical Services with system-generated statistics and reporting, especially related to budget, expenditures, and materials counts;
- Provides technical expertise and support to colleagues and serves as liaison between the Public and Technical Services Departments;
- Evaluates and implements new technologies and web applications to enhance patron services;
- Serves as liaison for Penn Law’s Information Technology Services (ITS) as an ITS Partner;
- Works with the Archivist to support and maintain the library’s digital collections; on new digitization efforts and uploads to CONTENTdm; to investigate, recommend and coordinate any outsourced digitization projects; and to manage any in-house scanning work performed on behalf of the law school;
- Works closely with Archivist on archival and special collections metadata initiatives and incorporating archival finding aids in the library catalog;
- Coordinates with the Development and Alumni Relations Department on library website-related stewardship activities;
- Serves as an active member on library committees and in project planning;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in library or information science; experience with MARC formats and bibliographic data; working knowledge of standard metadata formats; experience in an academic/law library environment;
- Familiarity with RDA metadata creation;
- Experience or strong professional interest in managing an Integrated Library System, preferably Innovative Interfaces, Inc. Millennium or Sierra;
- Experience incorporating new technologies to promote and enhance library resources, including web resources;
- Experience with support and maintenance for digital collections;
- Familiarity with existing digital collections software solutions for library and archival open source and vendor applications including, but not limited to, CONTENTdm;
- Strong service orientation; initiative and ability to work both independently and in a collaborative, collegial environment; strong service orientation with excellent organizational skills; excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- Experience developing web resources and custom applications;
- Knowledge of library technology protocols;
- Familiarity with Excel, especially for table and chart creation for reporting purposes.
Salary and Benefits: Competitive. The University of Pennsylvania is an equal opportunity employer. The position is available now and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
To apply: Please send cover letter, resume and names of three references to:
Jeffrey S. Grillo
Associate Director for Technical Services
Biddle Law Library
University of Pennsylvania Law School
Philadelphia, PA 19104-3406