Orientation for Information Technology Services
Essential technology info for newly arrived students
How to Get Help
- ITS Pop-up Help Desk during 1L orientation week:
- Monday, August 28 from 4pm - 5pm in the Clock
- Wednesday, August 30 from 4pm - 5pm in the Clock
- Thursday, August 31 from 12:30pm - 1:30pm in the Clock
- Friday, Sept. 1 from 3pm - 4pm in the Clock
ITS Pop-up Help Desk during the first week of classes:
- Tuesday, Sept. 5 from 9-11am at the Clock
- Wednesday, Sept. 6 from noon-2pm at the Goat
- Thursday, Sept. 7 from noon-2pm at the Clock
Get Laptop Support
The Tech Center (formerly the CRC) is the walk-in help desk for laptops and mobile devices, including WiFi and software (in this list of supported products). Details can be found on our page about the Tech Center.
Contact: 215-898-9720 or email@example.com
Location: The Tech Center is in Room G-102 of the Van Pelt Library, 3420 Walnut Street.
Monday: 10:00am- 12:00pm
PennKey, LawKey & Email
Once you have your PennKey and LawKey accounts created:
- Check if you missed any email notifications at the mailing list archives.
- Read the current Law School Announcements: On the Docket.
How to Connect your Laptop to Wireless Internet
- Connect to the network called AirPennNet-Help
- Open a web browser (Internet Explorer, Safari, etc.) and load any page (such as apple.com or google.com).
- Click the checkbox in the bottom left then click the green Start button and follow the on-screen instructions.
NOTE: Doesn’t work? Please see the next section for contacting the Computer Resource Center.
Printing, Copying, and Scanning
There are 7 multi-function locations and you already have “free” credit. Get more info.
- Tanenbaum T222 (Lab) – 4 Printers
- Reading Room (Periodicals)
- Tanenbaum 1st Floor (Clock)
- Tanenbaum 3rd Floor (Including color printers)
- Tanenbaum 5th Floor
- Gittis 1st Floor (Goat)
- Davis Student Union
Course materials are housed on the Canvas learning management system. We have detailed instructions on our Canvas page including how to login, set notification preferences and use the various tools.
If you received a merge notification email from Canvas, please read our info on merging accounts as you may not need to take any action with this email.
Microsoft Office, Symantec Endpoint Protection, and Other Software
Students currently enrolled at Penn can download and install Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus free of charge. Students will be allowed to install Office on up to five systems or devices. Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and OneNote for both Mac and PC.
Please check out the My New Computer section on Campus Express (PennKey login required) for information on how to download and install this software. Be sure to follow the instructions on Campus Express carefully as you will need to use your firstname.lastname@example.org and your PennKey password to download ProPlus.
Symantec Endpoint Protection is also available free of charge to all current Penn students for their personal computers. Symantec checks hard drives, removable media, and email attachments for known computer viruses and removes any that it finds. It also monitor yours computer and notify you of any infection attempts. More information and a link to download is available on Penn’s Symantec page.
Please also review this list of the University’s recommended and support computing products.
Data Security, Privacy and Backing Up
Here are some important links to keep your computer and data secure:
Penn’s Info Security Office: Important information about protecting your data/privacy online.
Security Overview: Links to policies and resources on security/privacy at Penn.
Penn+Box: Backing up your important documents and files is vital. One option is to use Penn+Box. All students receive 50GB of space.
Symantec Endpoint Protection: Be sure you have antivirus software installed on your computer. Symantec is available for free of charge for Penn students.
You can reach ITS at email@example.com or 215-898-2679. (Live chat will also be available this fall)
During orientation/first week of classes, ITS will be available at the Goat to answer questions and help troubleshoot issues. We look forward to meeting you!
Find extensive information in the online Help Center.