IT Orientation for New Staff Members
The members of Information Technology Services (ITS) warmly welcome you to the University of Pennsylvania Carey Law School. ITS provides computing, media, and network services for the Law School community.
Learn more about our team on our Who’s ITS page. We look forward to working with you!
Your orientation to IT services consists of two parts:
- A meeting with an ITS team member where we will deploy your Law School issued computer. This will be scheduled on your behalf by your department’s ITS Partner.
- This online orientation that details key information required to get started working with our applications and services. All new staff are required to complete this orientation shortly after arriving at Penn Carey Law (and confirm completion with ITS by submitting our online form).
Your Law School Accounts: LawKey & PennKey
LawKey and PennKey are the computing logins used at the Law School.
LawKey (aka your Office 365 login) is used to access Office 365 resources (Email, OneDrive, SharePoint, Teams) as well as login to your computer.
PennKey is used to access the wireless network (AirPennNet) as well as Canvas, password protected Law webpages, and University wide resources (Penn+Box, Zoom, Qualtrics).
Both accounts use the same username, but need to be activated separately. Please set different passwords for each account. More information: LawKey & PennKey guides
Multifactor Authentication (MFA) and Self-Service Password Reset (SSPR) are required to be set up for both your LawKey and PennKey accounts at the time of activation.
- Faculty & Staff: LawKey & PennKey Account Help
- LawKey MFA documentation
- ISC PennKey MFA documentation
- Confirm that your PennKey account and accompanying MFA has been set up.
- Enroll in PennKey SSPR
- Confirm that your LawKey account has been set up including MFA/SSPR (when you activate your account, you will be prompted to set up both).
Email & Microsoft 365
Your LawKey (aka your Microsoft 365) account provides access to Microsoft 365 resources including a full Exchange account for email, calendar, and contacts as well as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, OneDrive, and other Microsoft resources. Your email address has been created automatically and takes the form of email@example.com.
You can access your law email through the Outlook desktop app installed on your computer or via Outlook Web on a browser.
Your computer is set up to automatically sync the files in your Desktop, Documents, and Pictures folders to your Penn Carey Law OneDrive (using On Demand syncing which provides a way to get to all your files without using up storage space on your device). The Downloads folder is not backed up.
To access your OneDrive files via a web browser, login to the Microsoft 365 Portal and navigate to OneDrive. OneDrive is also integrated into Windows and will appear as a location in your File Browser on your office computer. More information on using OneDrive.
- Familiarize yourself with OneDrive. Login to OneDrive via your web browser as well as locate your OneDrive folder on your computer. Find instructions here.
- Always confirm that your OneDrive sync app is running by checking for the blue cloud icon on the bottom right corner of your taskbar and check for common errors
Penn Carey Law staff are provided with a laptop running Windows 11. You must use your Law School issued computer when working with Penn Carey Law data/applications - not a personal or home computer.
Caring for your Laptop:
- When carrying your laptop back and forth, we recommend shutting it down first, and using the case provided.
- Please do not attach stickers to your laptop/cover.
- If your laptop is lost or damaged, please report to ITS (firstname.lastname@example.org or 215-898-9140) right away.
Basic Computer Troubleshooting & Best Practices:
- When prompted to do so, please install Windows and Office updates. Pending updates often cause computer instability and running the update often resolves a lot of issues.
Important Applications & Tools
Zoom is a synchronous video conferencing platform that can be used for small meetings as well as large online conferences. All faculty and staff receive a fully licensed Zoom account. (Microsoft Teams is another option for video conferencing.) View our Zoom guide
Activate your Zoom account:
- Navigate to https://upenn.zoom.us/
- Click “Sign in”
- Sign in with your PennKey and password
All full-time faculty and staff members have access to an Adobe Acrobat DC license through Penn. Please refer to the Adobe Acrobat guide for sign in and troubleshooting assistance.
- Make sure to use PennKeyUsername@upenn.edu (not @law.upenn.edu) as your login username.
Activate your Qualtrics account
- Log in with your PennKey at http://upenn.qualtrics.com
- Choose “I don’t have a Qualtrics account”
- Verify your name and email address, then click “Update”
Penn Carey Law Directory
The Law Directory provides contact information and photos for faculty, staff, and students in the Law School.
Penn faculty, staff and students can use the GlobalProtect VPN to connect securely to the campus network and access restricted services from off-campus. Your computer should already have GlobalProtect installed. To use, you will open the application and login with your PennKey username and password. View our GlobalProtect VPN guide for more information.
Other Web Resources
Here are some other web resources and tools that may helpful to you.
- EMS Room Reservations: Need to request a room for an event or meeting? EMS allows staff to submit requests as well as view room availability.
- Bookings: A useful tool in Office 365 for scheduling/managing appointments.
- Staff Commons: Penn Carey Law Staff news, events, blog, and helpful links.
- On the Docket: Submit a message for the daily announcement emails.
- U@Penn Employee Portal: Login with your PennKey to access info about employee resources. View, enroll in, and change health and retirement benefits.
- Penn Directory: Update your listing in the central Penn directory.
- Review the complete list of applications supported by ITS here.
The wireless Internet network on campus is known as AirPennNet. AirPennNet provides fast, secure Internet access to all faculty, staff, and students. ITS will configure your Law School laptop to connect to AirPennNet. If you would like to connect your phone or mobile device to use AirPennNet, please follow the directions below.
- Instructions for connecting your phone/mobile device to AirPennNet.
- Instructions for connecting laptops to AirPennNet.
Members of the Penn Community can also use eduroam as their primary WiFi instead of AirPennNet and it will allow them to use that network when visiting other eduroam participating institutions/universities.
PennFlex is Penn’s new next generation cloud-based phone system. In addition to enterprise quality phone features, PennFlex offers enhanced functionality and flexibility including a mobile and desktop application (Webex) so faculty/staff can make and receive calls from their Penn phone line from anywhere.
We recommend that all users take advantage of this flexible platform and use the Webex app for making and receiving calls. (Office handsets are still available by request for users who have a dedicated phone line/desk.)
Network printing is available throughout the Law School via Universal Print. ITS will assist you with setting up the closest network printer when you receive your Law School-issued computer.
- Universal Print Guide (all law school Windows devices)
- KITE Mac Print Guide (for faculty/staff on Macs or non-law Windows devices)
- Please be mindful of the environment when printing. ITS provides many different resources for sharing and viewing documents digitally.
Security & Privacy Info
Keeping Penn Carey Law data secure is a shared responsibility of all staff members. ITS has prepared important information on security and privacy at Penn Carey Law. Please carefully review the following Security and Privacy guidance:
Security & Privacy recording | Security & Privacy slides
Some Key Takeaways!
- Always report suspicious activity and phishing/emails asking for your password to ITS (email@example.com)
- Be mindful of sensitive data - store/share responsibly.
- Install those Windows/Office updates.
- Don’t reuse passwords. Use a password manager!
- Email, Phone, and Text are all vectors for scams/spam. Be skeptical!
Store Sensitive Data Responsibly
- SharePoint Secure Sites
- Do not store or access Law School/sensitive data on your personal or home computers
- Do not store/share sensitive data via USB Keys
- Share via SecureShare or other sanctioned tools (not email)
How to Get Help
ITS Guides and Training
ITS Online is a one-stop location for help guides, links, and training resources.
- View a list of our supported applications as well as help/training guides.
- Follow our ITS Systems Status page for systems status/outage updates.
- Review our Learning Opportunities Guide for training provided by ITS as well as LinkedIn Learning.
- Subscribe to our LearnIT email list to receive tips, announcements, and other tech news from ITS.
Each department has a designated ITS Partner that works closely with ITS for service requests, IT resource planning, and coordination/communication for IT-related changes.
Contacting ITS Help
When contacting ITS with a technical issue, it is important to include detailed information about the problem or request. This will allow our team find a solution quicker for you.
- What were you trying to do when the problem happened? What happened instead?
- What are the steps required to reproduce the issue?
- If there was an error message, what did it say? (screenshots are great too!)
- When was the last time this worked and/or when did you first notice the problem?
- What’s the severity? Are you the only one experiencing the problem or is everyone in your office having the same problem?
- Include a specific URL if requesting access to a SharePoint site/page or reporting an issue/question related to a web site.
Thank you for completing our online orientation. Please let us know that you have completed the training.