IT Orientation for New Standing Faculty Members
The members of Information Technology Services (ITS) warmly welcome you to the University of Pennsylvania Carey Law School. ITS provides computing, media, and network services for the Law School community.
Learn more about our team on our Who’s ITS page.
We are looking forward to working with you!
- A member of the ITS team will reach out for an initial consultation regarding your equipment, and IT needs. In the interim, please review our Faculty Purchase Policy and Recommendations.
- Please review the online orientation below, which details key information required to get started working with our applications and services.
Your Law School Accounts: LawKey & PennKey
LawKey and PennKey are the computing logins used at the Law School.
LawKey (aka your Office 365 login) is used to access Office 365 resources (Email, OneDrive, SharePoint, Teams) as well as login to your computer.
PennKey is used to access the wireless network (AirPennNet) as well as Canvas, password protected Law webpages, and University wide resources (Penn+Box, Zoom, Qualtrics).
Both accounts use the same username, but need to be activated separately. Please set different passwords for each account. More information: LawKey & PennKey guides
Multifactor Authentication (MFA) and Self-Service Password Reset (SSPR) are required to be set up for both your LawKey and PennKey accounts at the time of activation.
New faculty will receive LawKey/PennKey activation details via email.
- Faculty & Staff: LawKey & PennKey Account Help
- LawKey MFA documentation
- ISC PennKey MFA documentation
- Confirm that your PennKey account and accompanying MFA has been set up.
- Enroll in PennKey SSPR
- Confirm that your LawKey account has been set up including MFA/SSPR (when you activate your account, you will be prompted to set up both).
Email & Microsoft 365
Your LawKey (aka your Microsoft 365) account provides access to Microsoft 365 resources including a full Exchange account for email, calendar, and contacts as well as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, OneDrive, and other Microsoft resources. Your email address has been created automatically and takes the form of firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can access your law email through the Outlook desktop app installed on your computer or via Outlook Web on a browser.
Your Windows computer is set up to automatically sync the files in your Desktop, Documents, and Pictures folders to your Penn Carey Law OneDrive (using On Demand syncing which provides a way to get to all your files without using up storage space on your device). The Downloads folder is not backed up.
To access your OneDrive files via a web browser, login to the Microsoft 365 Portal and navigate to OneDrive. OneDrive is also integrated into Windows and will appear as a location in your File Browser on your office computer. More information on using OneDrive.
- Familiarize yourself with OneDrive. Login to OneDrive via your web browser as well as locate your OneDrive folder on your computer. Find instructions here.
- Always confirm that your OneDrive sync app is running by checking for the blue cloud icon on the bottom right corner of your taskbar and check for common errors
IT Equipment for New Faculty
Standing Faculty can use their research funds to supplement or replace IT equipment in faculty offices or homes. Faculty are provided with a standard Dell computer and monitor.
Please review our Faculty Purchase Policy and Recommendations.
Caring for your Laptop:
- When carrying your laptop back and forth, we recommend shutting it down first, and using the case provided.
- If your laptop is lost or damaged, please report to ITS (email@example.com or 215-898-2589) right away.
Basic Computer Troubleshooting & Best Practices:
- Please install updates when prompted to ensure system performance and security. Many slowness issues can be resolved by either restarting the computer or even just closing all browser windows and reopening the application again.
The wireless Internet network on campus is known as AirPennNet. AirPennNet provides fast, secure Internet access to all faculty, staff, and students. If you would like to connect your phone or mobile device to use AirPennNet, please follow the directions below.
- Instructions for connecting your phone/mobile device to AirPennNet.
- Instructions for connecting laptops to AirPennNet.
Members of the Penn Community can also use eduroam as their primary WiFi instead of AirPennNet and it will allow them to use that network when visiting other eduroam participating institutions/universities.
Canvas is the online Learning Management System used at Penn Carey Law. Canvas has great features for posting course materials, communicating and interacting with your students and providing class and student calendars. You can also use this site to access your course photo roster, create an online seating chart, schedule appointments with students, create surveys/quizzes, and download a grading sheet.
Faculty can sign up for individualized training on basic or advanced topics: Canvas Training
Getting Started in Canvas: https://www.law.upenn.edu/its/docs/canvas/
Classroom Technology Training
We encourage all new faculty and teaching fellows to register for classroom training with an ITS classroom instructor.
- To register for training visit our canvas scheduling page: Classroom Training
- The 40-minute session covers logging in to PC, using a projector/displays, Zoom/dual delivery technology, and other topics.
- Co-instructors/TAs are encouraged to attend.
- To request assistance at the start of your class, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or log into your Canvas site and check “technician” on the Media Request page.
- Further Online documentation is found here for classroom technology.
Our classrooms are well equipped with Recording Technology. You can submit a media request to record a class via Canvas. Visit the Scheduling Recordings and Media Guide for more information.
- Visit our Recording Policies and Procedures for classroom recording information.
- To send “private” recordings to students, please see the instructions here: Managing Private Recordings
- To opt out of recordings, email email@example.com
- Some handy tips and tricks: Recording Management Tools, Tips and Tricks
- Zoom course links are created for all courses.
- By default, Zoom calls are recorded and posted to the “private” recordings folder on Canvas
For assistance, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (215) 898-9570.
Important Applications & Tools
Zoom is a synchronous video conferencing platform that can be used for small meetings as well as large online conferences. All faculty and staff receive a fully licensed individualized Zoom account. (Microsoft Teams is another option for video conferencing.) View our Zoom guide
Activate your Zoom account:
- Navigate to https://upenn.zoom.us/
- Click “Sign in”
- Sign in with your PennKey and password
All full-time faculty and staff members have access to an Adobe Acrobat DC license through Penn. Please refer to the Adobe Acrobat guide for sign in and troubleshooting assistance.
- Make sure to use PennKeyUsername@upenn.edu (not @law.upenn.edu) as your login username.
Activate your Qualtrics account
- Log in with your PennKey at http://upenn.qualtrics.com
- Choose “I don’t have a Qualtrics account”
- Verify your name and email address, then click “Update”
Penn Carey Law Directory
The Law Directory provides contact information and photos for faculty, staff, and students in the Law School.
Penn faculty, staff and students can use the GlobalProtect VPN to connect securely to the campus network and access restricted services from off-campus. Your computer should already have GlobalProtect installed. To use, you will open the application and login with your PennKey username and password. View our GlobalProtect VPN guide for more information.
Other Web Resources
Here are some other web resources and tools that may be helpful to you.
- EMS Room Reservations: Need to request a room for an event or meeting? EMS allows staff to submit requests as well as view room availability.
- Bookings: A useful tool in Office 365 for scheduling/managing appointments.
- Faculty Commons: Penn Carey Law Faculty news, events, blog, and helpful links.
- Faculty Directory: Meet our faculty!
- Faculty Profiles: Update your online faculty profile page for others to see.
- On the Docket: Submit a message for the daily announcement emails.
- U@Penn Employee Portal: Login with your PennKey to access info about employee resources. View, enroll in, and change health and retirement benefits.
- Penn Directory: Update your listing in the central Penn directory.
- Review the complete list of applications supported by ITS here.
PennFlex is Penn’s new next generation cloud-based phone system. In addition to enterprise quality phone features, PennFlex offers enhanced functionality and flexibility including a mobile and desktop application (Webex) so faculty/staff can make and receive calls from their Penn phone line from anywhere.
We recommend that all users take advantage of this flexible platform and use the Webex app for making and receiving calls. (Office handsets are still available by request for users who have a dedicated phone line/desk.)
Network printing is available throughout the Law School via Universal Print. ITS will assist you with setting up the closest network printer when you receive your Law School-issued computer.
- Universal Print Guide (all law school Windows devices)
- KITE Mac Print Guide (for faculty/staff on Macs or non-law Windows devices)
- Please be mindful of the environment when printing. ITS provides many different resources for sharing and viewing documents digitally.
Security & Privacy Info
ITS has prepared important information on security and privacy at Penn Carey Law. Please carefully review the following Security and Privacy guidance:
Security & Privacy recording | Security & Privacy slides
Some Key Takeaways!
- Always report suspicious activity and phishing/emails asking for your password to ITS (email@example.com)
- Be mindful of sensitive data - store/share responsibly.
- Install those Windows/Office updates.
- Don’t reuse passwords. Use a password manager! LastPass: Password Manager
- Email, Phone, and Text are all vectors for scams/spam. Be skeptical!
Store Sensitive Data Responsibly
- Coordinate with ITS for data storage needs related to faculty research. Data agreements should be shared with ITS in advance of projects and a data plan should be arranged.
- Use SharePoint Secure Sites
- Do not store or access Law School data on your personal/home computers
- Do not store/share sensitive data via USB Keys
- Share via SecureShare or other sanctioned tools (not email)
How to Get Help
ITS Guides and Training
ITS Online is a one-stop location for help guides, links, and training resources.
- View a list of our supported applications as well as help/training guides.
- Follow our ITS Systems Status page for systems status/outage updates.
- Review our Learning Opportunities Guide for training provided by ITS as well as LinkedIn Learning.
- Subscribe to our LearnIT email list to receive tips, announcements, and other tech news from ITS.
Contacting ITS Help
(215) 898 - 2589
For all Classroom and Instructional Technology requests, including training and scheduling media for classrooms:
When contacting ITS with a technical issue, it is important to include detailed information about the problem or request. This will allow our team find a solution quicker for you.
- What were you trying to do when the problem happened? What happened instead?
- What are the steps required to reproduce the issue?
- If there was an error message, what did it say? (screenshots are great too!)
- When did you have the problem (date and time)? This will help us investigate further in the system logs.
- What’s the severity? Are you the only one experiencing the problem or is everyone in your office having the same problem?
- Include a specific URL if requesting access to a SharePoint site/page or reporting an issue/question related to a web site.
Thank you for completing our online orientation. We look forward to working with you!