IT Orientation for New Adjunct Faculty Members
The members of Information Technology Services (ITS) warmly welcome you to the University of Pennsylvania Carey Law School. ITS provides computing, media, and network services for the Law School community.
Learn more about our team on our Who’s ITS page.
In This Orientation:
- Law school accounts : LawKey & PennKey
- Canvas LMS
- Instructional Technology
- Important Applications & Tools
- Security & Privacy Info
- How to Get Help
- Complete Orientation
Your Law School Accounts: LawKey & PennKey
LawKey and PennKey are the computing logins used at the Law School.
LawKey is used to access classroom computers.
PennKey is used to access the wireless network (AirPennNet) as well as Canvas, password protected Law webpages, and University wide resources.
Both accounts use the same username, but need to be activated separately. Please set different passwords for each account. More information: LawKey & PennKey guides
Multifactor Authentication (MFA) and Self-Service Password Reset (SSPR) are required to be set up for both your LawKey and PennKey accounts at the time of activation.
New faculty will receive LawKey/PennKey activation details via email.
- Faculty & Staff: LawKey & PennKey Account Help
- LawKey MFA documentation
- ISC PennKey MFA documentation
- Confirm that your PennKey account and accompanying MFA has been set up.
- Enroll in PennKey SSPR
- Confirm that your LawKey account has been set up including MFA/SSPR (when you activate your account, you will be prompted to set up both).
The wireless Internet network on campus is known as AirPennNet. AirPennNet provides fast, secure Internet access to all faculty, staff, and students. If you would like to connect your phone or mobile device to use AirPennNet, please follow the directions below.
- Instructions for connecting your phone/mobile device to AirPennNet.
- Instructions for connecting laptops to AirPennNet.
Members of the Penn Community can also use eduroam as their primary WiFi instead of AirPennNet and it will allow them to use that network when visiting other eduroam participating institutions/universities.
Canvas is the online Learning Management System used at Penn Carey Law. Canvas has great features for posting course materials, communicating and interacting with your students and providing class and student calendars. You can also use this site to access your course photo roster, create an online seating chart, schedule appointments with students, create surveys/quizzes, and download a grading sheet.
Faculty can sign up for individualized training on basic or advanced topics: Canvas Training
Classroom Technology Training
We encourage all new adjuncts to register for classroom training with an ITS classroom instructor.
- To register for training visit our canvas scheduling page: Classroom Training
- The 40-minute session covers logging in to PC, using a projector/displays, Zoom/dual delivery technology, and other topics.
- Co-instructors/TAs are encouraged to attend.
- To request assistance at the start of your class, please email email@example.com or log into your Canvas site and check “technician” on the Media Request page.
- Further Online documentation is found here for classroom technology.
Our classrooms are well equipped with Recording Technology. You can submit a media request to record a class via Canvas. Visit the Scheduling Recordings and Media Guide for more information.
- Visit our Recording Policies and Procedures for classroom recording information.
- To send “private” recordings to students, please see the instructions here: Managing Private Recordings
- To opt out of recordings, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Some handy tips and tricks: Recording Management Tools, Tips and Tricks
- Zoom course links are created for all courses.
- By default, Zoom calls are recorded and posted to the “private” recordings folder on Canvas
For assistance, contact email@example.com or (215) 898-9570.
Important Applications & Tools
Zoom is a synchronous video conferencing platform that can be used for small meetings as well as large online conferences. All faculty and staff receive a fully licensed Zoom account. (Microsoft Teams is another option for video conferencing.) View our Zoom guide
Activate your Zoom account:
- Navigate to https://upenn.zoom.us/
- Click “Sign in”
- Sign in with your PennKey and password
Penn Carey Law Directory
The Law Directory provides contact information and photos for faculty, staff, and students in the Law School.
Other Web Resources
Here are some other web resources and tools that may helpful to you.
- Faculty Commons: Penn Carey Law Staff news, events, blog, and helpful links.
- U@Penn Employee Portal: Login with your PennKey to access info about employee resources. View, enroll in, and change health and retirement benefits.
- Penn Directory: Update your listing in the central Penn directory.
Security & Privacy Info
ITS has prepared important information on security and privacy at Penn Carey Law. Please carefully review the following Security and Privacy guidance:
Security & Privacy recording | Security & Privacy slides
Some Key Takeaways!
- Always report suspicious activity and phishing/emails asking for your password to ITS (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Be mindful of sensitive data - store/share responsibly.
- Don’t reuse passwords. Use a password manager! LastPass: Password Manager
- Email, Phone, and Text are all vectors for scams/spam. Be skeptical!
Store Sensitive Data Responsibly
- Do not store/share sensitive data via USB Keys
- Share via SecureShare or other sanctioned tools (not email)
How to Get Help
ITS Guides and Training
ITS Online is a one-stop location for help guides, links, and training resources.
- View a list of our supported applications as well as help/training guides.
- Follow our ITS Systems Status page for systems status/outage updates.
- Review our Learning Opportunities Guide for training provided by ITS as well as LinkedIn Learning.
- Subscribe to our LearnIT email list to receive tips, announcements, and other tech news from ITS.
Contacting ITS Help
(215) 898 - 2589
For all Classroom and Instructional Technology requests, including training and scheduling media for classrooms:
When contacting ITS with a technical issue, it is important to include detailed information about the problem or request. This will allow our team find a solution quicker for you.
- What were you trying to do when the problem happened? What happened instead?
- What are the steps required to reproduce the issue?
- If there was an error message, what did it say? (screenshots are great too!)
- When was the last time this worked and/or when did you first notice the problem?
- What’s the severity? Are you the only one experiencing the problem or is everyone in your office having the same problem?
- Include a specific URL if requesting access to a SharePoint site/page or reporting an issue/question related to a web site.
Thank you for completing our online orientation. We look forward to working with you!