Course Recordings: Managing Archived Videos
- Course recording retention policy
- How to archive recordings
- Accessing archived recordings for a single course
- Accessing all of your archived recordings
- Downloading, sharing and deleting recordings
Course Recording Retention Policy
ITS course recording retention policy is two years. Old recordings are deleted annually on August 15th. Any recordings in your “Panopto Recordings” folder and any sub-folders on your course Canvas sites will be deleted.
Note: this includes all in-class recordings, Zoom recordings, uploaded recordings, “public” and “private” recordings.
|Deletion Date:||Recordings to be deleted:|
|August 15th, 2023||Fall 2020, Spring 2021, Summer 2021|
|August 15th, 2024||Fall 2021, Spring 2022, Summer 2022|
|August 15th, 2025||Fall 2022, Spring 2023, Summer 2023|
How to Request Archiving
By default, all course recordings are deleted after two years. To request archiving of your recordings, please use this service request form:
Accessing Archived Recordings for a single course
Archived Panopto Recordings are accessible through Canvas.
To access them, first navigate to your old Canvas site that originally contained the recording. To access old Canvas sites, navigate to canvas.law.upenn.edu or browse by semester at mycourses.law.upenn.edu.
- Navigate to your Canvas site and click on the Panopto Recordings link
- To see archived videos, click the archived videos icon, or the text that reads “Show archived videos” Note: there may also be archived videos in the “Private Recordings” folder.
- Find the video you want to restore and click “Restore from Archive”
The text below the video will indicate how long it will take to restore from the archive.
Accessing all archived course recordings
If you need to restore many videos at once over multiple courses, you can view all of your archived videos in one screen.
- Log into Panopto at https://penncareylaw.hosted.panopto.com/
- Click on “System,” then “Archive”
Once your video is restored, you can play it back, edit it or download it.
- NOTE: only Instructors and TAs can download course recordings. Do not distribute recordings without permission.
- Sharing Recordings
- Deleting Recordings
- Downloading Recordings