Student Printers: Overview
All printing, photocopying, and scanning needs for students are met by nine multi-function stations throughout the Law School.
All JD/LLM students receive $120 print credit on their personal account each semester. At the beginning of each semester, your available printing credit will be set to $120, in addition to funds that you have added yourself using the PennCash machine. ML students receive credits that amount to the equivalent of $40 in printing per course each term (up to $120/max).
This year a new Special print account is being added for all Penn Law students, for approved group and programs including TPIC Pro-Bono, Journals, and Student Groups. You may use this account to print without it affecting your personal print account. You may not use the Special account for your personal, academic, class reading, research, assignments, resumes, career planning, clerkships, papers and other personal printing.
All Special printing is authenticated when you swipe your card, will be tracked, and use will be audited. Please check with your group or instructor to be sure you are authorized to use the Special account before you use it to print.
Using the Multi-function Stations
Once you have setup the printers for your laptop (view our Windows and Mac setup guides) and sent your documents to the printer, you will then need to go to one of the multi-function stations located through out the Law School to release your print job. (View a list of the printer locations)
From the touch screen, select either “Printing” or “Copying”:
Swipe your PennCard to release your job:
At this point, you will be prompted to select which account to charge the job to. Select personal account for your individual printing needs. If you are printing on behalf of a student group/journal/TPIC Pro-Bono and received approval, you may use the Special printing account.
Please also note the following:
- A page is one print side.
- By default all documents are set to print duplex. You can change this from the Print menu on your computer.
- Printing prices: Duplex prints are charged a fee of $0.08/page (16 cents total for both sides of a sheet). Simplex prints are .09/page.
- Your personal print credit total is $120, which can be used for 1500 duplex sides or 1333 simplex sides.
- Any unused free pages will not be carried over to the next semester.
- Your PennCash balance is separate and will not be affected by the resetting of the semester balance.
- When your semester balance is depleted, subsequent printing and copying will be charged to your PennCash. This is clearly indicated at the touch panel.
To use the scanning or copying functions, visit our Scanning & Copying guide.
Color printing is also available!