Visual Media Lab Policies
The purpose of this Lab is to facilitate research regarding the development and production of various forms of visual legal advocacy that either advances the causes of clients, or informs general or specialized audiences about the workings of the law and the legal system.
If you have a project that falls within these purposes and wish to use the Lab’s equipment, please contact Professor Regina Austin at ext. 8-5185 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org for permission. You will be asked to show your finished product to the professor. The Lab was created with a grant from the University’s Research Facilities Development Fund.
Rules for Production Equipment
- Permission to the editing workstations and other equipment must be granted by Regina Austin.
- Once approved to borrow equipment, forward approval to email@example.com.
Prior to pick up of equipment, you will complete a sign-out form detailing what equipment you would like to borrow.
- You will receive an email back within 24 hours confirming or adjusting your request.
- Your equipment will be held for you in the ITS equipment office in T-319 (third floor corner of Tanenbaum).
- You may borrow equipment for a total of 2 nights.
- Please return all equipment to T-319. An ITS team member will be there to check in the equipment.
- ***Borrowers are responsible for any loss or damage to the equipment. If equipment is lost, your bursar bill will be charged.***
Rules for Workstations
- The workstations are for media editing only, not for other school work or activities such as email; precedence is given for this purpose.
- There are currently 2 iMac workstations located in T-524 and T-424.
- Although there are currently no strict limits on how long you can use the workstations, please respect others who may be waiting.
- Please contact Regina Austin regarding permission to use the lab.
- Please save all data to your group’s external drive provided to you by Professor Austin.
- Drives may be stored at the library front desk.
- **Please bring drives to ITS T-319 after any major editing or addition of media so that regular backups may be maintained.**
- Sony 4k professional video camera kit
- Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema 4k and appropriate lenses
- Ikan 3 point light kits w/ stands
- Zoom H4N stereo field audio recorder
- All equipment is available in pre packaged kits designated for A) Interviews; or B) B-Roll shooting and can be checked out upon approval here.
On site iMac Editing Workstations (T-524 and T-424)
- Final Cut Studio: Final Cut Pro X, Compressor, Motion, Logic Pro X
- Adobe Creative Cloud: Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, Audition, Media Encoder
- Lab Site: There is a Canvas course site called “Visual Media Lab” (LAW999-998-currentsemester) facilitates communication among the Lab members.