Faculty Purchasing Recommendations
Below are the ITS recommendations for faculty research account purchases for desktop computers, laptops, software and printers.
ITS support only extends to systems owned by the Law School. All equipment purchased with Law School funds remains the property of the University and must be purchased by ITS.
Faculty are provided with a standard Dell computer and monitor, and a desk-side printer for their office. Research funds can be used with the Dean’s approval to supplement or replace equipment in faculty offices.
What Can I Purchase with Research Funds?
The Law School purchase policy limits the use of faculty research funds to pay for technology equipment for business use outside the office.
- Faculty who want to purchase more than one device can purchase:
- One laptop of any size or one desktop.
- One laptop of a different size.
- One iPad.
- No two laptops of the same size.
- The research allowance will be charged an additional fee of $2,000 upon purchase of the third item.
- The additional fee would also be charged in a year in which any of the three pieces of equipment is upgraded, but no more than once in any one year.
- All purchases must be covered with current year research funds.
- Equipment purchases that are not recommended by ITS may require special approval from the Dean.
- Visiting faculty cannot use their research funds for desktop computers, laptops, or iPads.
Please note: PDA’s, iPhones, smartphones, cellphones, cellular network cards or their services are not provided by ITS and are currently not reimbursable from research funds.
If you are buying a new system, please make your purchase requests by the end of April for the current fiscal year. This is necessary in order to complete all transactions prior to the annual invoice deadline.
We get a large number of requests at the end of the fiscal year, so please submit your requests as early as possible to avoid delays in setting up your new equipment.
What Happens to My Old Equipment?
If you are replacing a desktop or laptop purchased with research funds, you have the option of returning the equipment or purchasing it from the Law School. If you are leaving the Law School, you may return the equipment or purchase it.
- Review the recommended systems below and contact David Roush (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your choices and/or questions.
- David will submit your purchasing request to Ernie Gonsalves for approval.
- After approved, your equipment will be ordered and delivered to the Law School.
- ITS will install software, configure your system, and contact you to migrate data/settings from your old equipment.
It will normally take about one month to receive your new computer. You should expect longer delays during the following periods:
- January, September, and December (start of semester)
- Late April & May (high volume of end-of-year purchases)
ITS Recommended Systems
All Dell models come equipped with Windows 7 Enterprise, an integrated Webcam & Microphone, 802.11a/b/g/n wireless card, Bluetooth, internal DVD+/-RW drive (writes CDs & DVDs), and a 3 year next business day, onsite warranty.
See the table below for a side-by-side comparison. The Surface Pro 3 Tablet uses the new Windows 8.1 OS.
Microsoft Surface Pro 3
Dell Latitude E5550
||Dell Latitude E7450||Dell Latitude E7250|
|Dimensions||11.5” W x 7.93” D x .36” H||14.8” W x 10.1” D x .9” H||13.3” W x 9.12” D x .8” H||12.5” W x 8.3” D x .76” H|
|Weight||1.76 lbs||4.71 lbs||3.43 lbs||2.76 lbs|
|Display||12” (2160 x 1440, 216 ppi)||15.6” (1920x1080, 141 ppi)||14” (1920x1080, 157 ppi)||12.5” (1366x768, 125 ppi)|
|Processor||Intel i7 3.3GHz (dual)||Intel i5 2.2GHz (dual)||Intel i5 12.3GHz (dual)||Intel i5 2.3GHz (dual)|
|Graphics||Intel HD Graphics 5000||Intel HD Graphics 5500||Intel HD Graphics 5500||Intel HD Graphics 5500|
All Mac models come equipped with Mac OS X 10.9, an integrated Webcam & Microphone, 802.11ac wireless card, Bluetooth, and a 3 year mail-in warranty.
If you are switching from a PC, you should be prepared for the following differences.
- DVD writers are sold separately
- You cannot open WordPerfect files
- Warranty service requires mailing in your equipment or visiting an Apple Store
|Model||MacBook Pro 15 inch||MacBook Pro 13 inch||MacBook Air 13 inch|
|Dimensions||14.13” W x 9.73” D x 0.71” H||12.35” W x 8.62” D x 0.75” H||12.8” W x 8.94” D x .68” H|
|Weight||4.46 lbs||3.46 lbs||2.96lbs|
|Display||15.4” (2880x1800, 220 ppi)||13.3” (2560x1600, 227 ppi)||13.3” (1440x900, 128 ppi)|
|Processor||Intel i7 2.2GHz (quad)||Intel i5 2.4GHz (dual)||Intel i5 1.4GHz (dual)|
|Graphics||Intel Iris Pro Graphics||Intel Iris Graphics||Intel HD Graphics 5000|
|Model||OptiPlex 9020 Small Form Factor|
|Processor||Intel® Core i7-4770 3.4GHz (quad)|
|Video||Intel Integrated HD4600 (1 DisplayPort, 1 DVI)|
|Operating System||Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise|
|Optical Drive||Internal DVD+/-RW (writes CDs and DVDs)|
next business day, onsite
~$1000 for PC, $500 for 24” LCD, $700 for 27” LCD
Warranty Renewal for Existing Systems
Faculty who you plan on keeping their systems over three years should purchase an additional warranty. One additional year costs approximately $150 and two years is approximately $250. If you would like a quote, please contact us.
Additional software can be purchased on a per license basis.
- Corel WordPerfect: $45
- Adobe Acrobat Pro: $99
- EndNote: $249
- SAS: $85 per year
- SPSS: $85 per year
Additional software is available through the Office of Software Licensing.
- Dragon Naturally Speaking Preferred: $199
- Headset for Dictation: $79
ITS recommends the 16GB WiFi + WiFi model for the majority of business and research functions. If you plan on storing several HD movies for offline viewing on the iPad, a 32GB model may be needed.
|Size||9.7” diagonal, 1lb|
|Connectivity:||Wi+Fi, 3G, 4G LTE|
|Camera:||5-megapixel iSight rear camera, VGA FaceTime front camera|
|Battery||10 hours WiFi, 9 hours 4G|
- 16GB WiFi + 4G Verizon: $629
- 32GB WiFi + 4G Verizon: $729
|Personal Printer||HP LaserJet M401dw||35 ppm||$300|
|HP LaserJet M425dn||35 ppm||$450|
External Backup Drives
Please note: ITS now adds an external backup drive for all home desktop and laptop purchases, unless faculty have already purchased one with their research funds.
- For Windows: Western Digital My Book Essential 2 TB, $90
- For Mac: Western Digital My Book for Mac 2 TB, $120
Custom Configured Systems
If you opt to go outside of ITS’s recommended systems, it may require special approval from the Dean.
Penn Computer Connection
The Penn Computer Connection sells laptops and desktops at an academic discount. Please goto the Computer Connection website for more information (requires PennKey authentication).
For alternate HP printer models, please visit the HP Printers website.
Build and configure your own system from the Dell Higher Education Online Store.
Select the specific model you wish to configure and select your options, then click Update Price when done.
After you have configured the system to your satisfaction, update the price one final time, and then click Save E-Quote at the bottom of the page.
A new page will open, asking you for your information. For the fields marked E-Quote Name and Description, please enter your full name. Note - Please fill in only the fields marked with the red asterisk.
Your Configuration and E-Quote will be mailed to you. Please save this email; it will be necessary when you are ready to purchase your system. This E-Quote will save your exact pricing and configuration for 30 days, making your configuration easily retrievable. Once you have the quote, forward it onto email@example.com to continue the process.
Please keep in mind that customizing your system may hinder the ability of ITS to support the system.