Green IT at Penn Law
We are proud to be a certified level 4 green office (the highest available) by Penn’s Green Campus Partnership.
Penn Law ITS works to do our part in order to help the University’s Green Campus Partnership meet their ambitious and inspiring sustainability goals.
Here are several of the initiatives Penn Law ITS has been working on in order to help the Green Campus Partnership meet its goals and embrace reduction of carbon emissions, energy use and waste.
- We offer teleconferencing options for faculty speakers and guests in order to reduce emissions caused by travel
- All new equipment is ENERGY STAR rated or is the most efficient option
- Sleep mode and auto-off enabled on all copiers and all printers
- Computer monitors are set to sleep after a certain amount of inactivity
- List any used equipment, furniture and supplies on BEN’s Attic
- Double-sided printing as a default
- Copiers offer option to scan and email instead of print
- Recycle inkjet and laser jet cartridges
- Recycle all electronics that leave our office
- Recycle all rechargeable batteries and projector bulbs with Penn’s Office of Environmental Health and Radiation Safety (EHRS)
- Collect student/faculty/staff alkaline batteries for recycling in T-232
For more information on sustainability at Penn, please visit the Penn Green Campus Partnership’s website: http://www.upenn.edu/sustainability/
For green IT tips, check out Penn Computing’s Green IT site: http://www.upenn.edu/computing/greenit/
January 30, 2014As you may know, Penn Law is participating in the Power Down Challenge, an energy reduction competition that takes place from February 3rd to March 2nd. Here are some tips to consume less energy in the office.
December 23, 2013Instead of throwing away replaced electronics this holiday season, give it to ITS to recycle! ITS has scheduled another eWaste collection for late January. Please bring your old computer equipment to the ITS Student Help Center (T-232) between noon-4:00pm.
November 21, 2013Help Penn Law save electricity and the lamp life of projectors by powering them down if they are not being used.
November 19, 2012Did you know that ITS provides battery recycling? Demand for batteries in increasingly electronic world has increased steadily. As more batteries are used, they have begun to pile up in landfills. Used batteries are known to cause serious problems for the environment.
November 15, 2012Hopefully you found Monday’s tip on using power management settings to lengthen your battery life helpful. Today’s tip goes a little deeper and takes a look at some simple changes you can take to improve battery life even more.