Exams: Prepare Your Laptop
Please read this page thoroughly if you plan to take any exams using a laptop this semester.
IMPORTANT: Windows and Mac users should have Version 1.8 installed. You can download the most recent version here.
Required Laptop Specifications
You must use a laptop that meets or exceeds these specifications. If you need a laptop, you may rent one.
Minimum System Requirements - please be sure to review these carefully: (Windows) (MacOS X)
- Functioning wireless Internet connection for installation, exam download, and exam answer upload.
- Only the following operating systems are supported by Examplify: Windows 7, Windows 10, Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan), Mac OS 10.12 (Sierra), Mac OS 10.13. (High Sierra), and Mac OS X 10.14 (Mojave). ** MacOS Mojave is only supported on Examplify version 1.7.6 and higher.**
- Note: Support for Windows 7 devices will be discontinued on December 31st, 2018.
- Alternate versions of Windows 10, such as Windows RT, and Windows 10 S are not supported. Windows 8 is not supported. iPads are also not supported.
- Only genuine, U.S.-English versions of Windows Operating Systems are supported.
- Screen Resolution must be 1024x768 or higher
- Sufficient system stability to run the Examplify program (see FAQ below).
Preparing Your Laptop
To prepare your laptop, you will be installing the Examplify program, made by ExamSoft (the company). Please follow our detailed instructions. These instructions will walk you through how to install Examplify as well as how to download and take your exams. Please also review Examplify Best Practices before taking your exams.
Practice Taking an Exam
Practice the exam-taking procedure a few times to become comfortable with the process and to ensure that Examplify functions properly on your laptop.
See also: Examplify Quick Start Guide.
I am a returning 2L/3L student and have used SofTest in the past. What is Examplify?
Examsoft has issued a new version of their exam software called Examplify (this replaces the old SofTest platform). Examplify has a different interface so be sure to review our documentation on installing/downloading/taking an exam as the process and interface are different from SofTest.
I already have Examplify on my laptop. Do I need to reinstall?
You need to make sure that you are running the most up-to-date version of Examplify (Version 1.7.6.).
Once you launch Examplify, you will be given the option to “Update Now” or “Update Later”, choose “Update Now”. Make sure that all of your documents and files are saved prior to updating because your computer will automatically restart after the update is finished.
How can I help ensure that Examplify will properly function on my laptop?
- Practice the exam-taking procedure a few times to become comfortable with the process and to ensure that Examplify functions properly on your laptop. There will be several practice exams available when you download your exams.
- Give yourself enough time to seek help from ITS before exams begin.
- Quit background applications, such as those in your “system tray” or “Dock”, such as: instant messaging, internet radio, and desktop customization programs. Disable these using the preferences of each program, or consider uninstalling them until after exams are done.
- NOTE: Even if Examplify works with these installed, they will tend to slow Examplify down.
- Verify that you do not have spyware on your system, by doing a full scan with AntiVirus Software.
- After you have installed and tested Examplify, do not remove any programs or files, defragment your hard disk, perform a system restore, or otherwise change your system configuration in any significant way until you complete your last computer exam. These tasks may interfere with Examplify’s ability to function normally.
What do I do if I experience a lag when typing my answers?
- Verify that you followed the steps in the previous question.
- Disable your firewall and/or antivirus (Remember to re-enable after your exam).
- Disable background services, such as Skype, DropBox, etc.
- Clear Windows problem reports. You can find this by searching “View all problem reports” in the Start menu.
Isn’t this procedure rather complicated?
Unfortunately, yes. However, we have worked to simplify the procedure as much as possible. If you still feel uncomfortable with laptop exams, you may write using bluebooks.
Will exam questions appear on my laptop screen?
No, they will be given to you on paper.
Can I use spell-check during the exam?
Students will be permitted to use spell-check if it has been approved by the faculty member. You will be notified of this before the exam.
I am a student with special needs.
Check with the registrar’s office ASAP to see if you will have special accommodations.
Can I access files on my computer for open-notes exams?
If you are taking a nonsecure exam in Examplify, you will be able to access files on your computer. If you exam is a secure exam, Examplify locks you out of all other programs and files. If your exam is open-notes, bring printed material to the exam.
What happens if my laptop crashes during an exam?
Please take your laptop and exam materials to the Registrar’s Office. A technician from ITS will be there to troubleshoot issues with Examplify. If ITS cannot get your laptop to a usable state within 10 minutes, you will need to use another laptop or hand-write the remainder of the exam. Your time limit will be adjusted accordingly.
Can I prepare a backup laptop in case mine fails during exam weeks?
Yes, some students rent a second laptop to use for exams and install Examplify on both. This is fine, but be sure to follow all preparation steps for each laptop.
Will ExamSoft interfere with normal computer operations?
Examplify only puts restrictions on word processing while the program is running. As long as the Examplify program is not running, your computer should function normally.