An Evernote note is a single document within a notebook. The following instructions are intended to be used with the Evernote desktop application.
Steps for Creating and Editing a New Note
Creating a New Note
Creating a new note can be done one of two ways: using the Evernote Web Clipper in your web browser or manually within the Evernote desktop application.
The Evernote Web Clipper can be used to create a new note from website content in a web browser. Instructions for installing the Evernote Web Clipper can be found here.
- Navigate to the page containing the content you wish to “clip”.
- Highlight any content in your web browser that you wish to create a note with.
- With the content still highlighted, click on the Web Clipper button in the top right-hand corner of your browser window.
- A new window will appear within your web browser in which you can edit the note info, including notebook, tags, etc. The URL of the page you are clipping from will be automatically entered into the note. NOTE: Please add tags according to the format described below.
- When you are finished editing the note, click Clip Selection. This not will now appear in the notebook you selected.
Notes can also be created manually within the Evernote desktop application. This works well when creating notes from content not on the web, like documents.
- In the Sidebar, select the notebook in which you wish to create the note.
- Click the New Note button in the Note Action Toolbar along the top of the window.
In Mac OS X:
- Enter the notebooks menu by clicking Notebooks in the sidebar.
- Select the notebook in which you wish to create the note and click the+ New Note button at the top of the window.
Editing a Note
Note content and info can be edited at any time. The following steps can be used during the manual creation of a note or to make changes at a later time.
- Select the note you wish to edit from the note list.
- The contents of the note will be displayed on the right side of the page in the Note Editor. Here, you can type or paste any content that you wish to add.
- To format the text in a note, use the formatting tools along the top of the Note Editor. These include Font Tools, Layout Tools, and Special Element Tools.
View and Edit Note Details
To view and edit information about a note, open the note, then click the More Info button, located at the top-right corner of the Note Editor.
From here, you can change a note’s author, source URL, tags, etc.
Tags are an optional way to associate keywords to notes and improve searchability. One or more tags can be added to a note. Common uses for tags include associating notes with categories, memories or locations.
To view all of the tags used in your Evernote account, click the Tags icon in the Sidebar.
- Open a new or existing note.
- Click the Click to add tag… field in the More Info section of the Note Editor.
- Begin typing the tag you want to add. A list of suggested tags will appear. Select the tag you want to add or enter a new tag name. NOTE: Only use the tags that have been established based on the different codes. These include NationalComm, MPC, and one for each state. Please maintain the state tag format, which is the population ranking, the state abbreviation, and the population percentage in parentheses. For example, the state tag for California is written as 01 CA (12.1%).
- Click the Enter key to finalize the tag.
For more information, consult the Evernote guides at http://evernote.com/business/resources/ or e-mail questions to email@example.com.