Course Portal: Seating Charts
Online seating charts provide an easy way for students to choose seats or to receive assigned seats from the instructor. Seating charts are only available for our large lecture halls.
Enable Your Seating Chart
Rooms with Seating Charts
- Gittis 1
- Gittis 2
- Gittis 213
- Gittis 214
- Golkin 100
- Silverman 240A
- Silverman 240B
- Silverman 245
- Silverman 280
- Tanenbaum 145
- From your Course Portal page, click the Manage Site link, and then click the Seating Chart tab.
- Select Enable Chart and choose if you want to allow students to select their own seats.
- Click Submit.
After enabling your chart, a Seating Chart link will appear in the left-hand column of your course page.
Assign Seats as the Instructor
Using the Seating Chart tool, you will be able to set manually or alphabetically assign seats for your students. Students will not be able to view the chart until the date you specify.
The faculty support staff can assist with manual entry.
Allow Students to Select Seats
Students will be able to access the Seating Chart tool during the dates you specify to select their own seats on a first-come, first-serve basis. If your classroom seats more students than you have enrolled in the class, you can block out seats to prevent students from selecting them (see below).
Important: If you enable your seating chart with the option to allow students to select their seats online, we recommend that you send a message to your class mailing list to notify your students.
Block Seats on your Seating Chart
If your classroom seats more students than you have enrolled in the class, you can block out seats to prevent students from selecting them. You should block out seats before opening the chart for seat selection.
- After enabling your seating chart, click the Seating Chart link on your course page.
- Click the Block Seats button at the top of the chart.
- Click on the seats you wish to block. Red boxes are blocked and white boxes are available.
- When finished, click Save Chart
Print Your Seating Chart
The Faculty Support Staff can provide large-format printouts of your seating chart. Please provide at least 24 hours advance notice to Silvana Burgese at firstname.lastname@example.org, (215) 898-9497.