Panopto: Managing Private Recordings
On this Page:
All class recordings are added to Canvas within a few hours of your class session. Recordings will either appear as Public or Private recordings in the Panopto Recordings page of your Canvas course website.
- Public Recordings are visible to all students in your course when they click the Panopto Recordings link on your course Canvas site.
- Private Recordings are only visible to instructors, TAs, and course designers. They can be found inside the Private Recordings folder on the Panopto Recordings Canvas page. You can choose to keep them private, send them to individual students, or publish them for the entire class to view.
Need help? FSS staff can send recordings to individual students on behalf of faculty. Please email FSS and include which students are approved, and the dates of the recordings to be sent.
1. From Canvas, click the Panopto Recordings link.
2. Click on the Private Recordings folder at the top of the window.
3. Navigate to the video you’d like to share and click on the Share option that appears.
4. Under People and Groups, type in the email of the individual to whom you would like to send the video. If they are a Penn Law student, Panopto should auto-fill their name. Start by typing their first name and the rest of their name should appear as an option. Select the name that starts with “PennLawCanvasLive\UserName”
Click on their name to continue
5. Type in an optional message to send with your email. Make sure that Notify people is checked off. Finally, click on Send to send an email with the video link.
Moving a Recording to the Private Folder or making them Public
To restrict access to a recording, you can move it into your Private folder. You can also move a recording from the Private folder into the Public folder.
1. From your Canvas page, click on the Panopto Recordings link.
2. Find the recording you want to make private. Hover your mouse over the recording and click “Settings”
3. Click “Edit” next to the “Folder”
4. Navigate to the proper folder. Start by selecting your term, eg. “Academic Year 2020-2021,” click the arrow to expand the folder. Find your course name, and then select the “Private Recordings” folder nested within that folder. The main folder (eg “2020-2021 (Yearlong) - CourseName (Instructor)” is the folder that all students in your class have access to.
5. Click “Save”
Course Recording Retention Policy
ITS course recording retention policy is two years. Old recordings are deleted annually on August 15 th . Instructors have the option to delete any unwanted recordings at any time.