Panopto: Scheduling and Cancelling Recordings
- The following document covers scheduling and un-scheduling recordings for in-person classes.
- For More information on course Zoom recordings, see here:
- During remote/hybrid semesters, all classes are recorded automatically and made available to your students. During the Add/Drop period, all Penn Law Students can access course recordings for all classes.
Each Friday you will receive an email confirmation of the upcoming week’s scheduled classroom technology. If you wish to opt out of the confirmations, please email us.
All other requests should be made before the day of your class. For same day requests, please call the ITS Media hotline at (215) 898-9570 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Private Recordings are available, by default, to only Instructors and TAs in the course. To edit permissions for individual recordings to send to students, follow instructions here: https://www.law.upenn.edu/its/docs/canvas/panopto-manage-recordings.php
- Media Requests page
- Add Recording Request to all course meetings
- Add Recording Request to individual course meetings
- Un-schedule recordings (opt-out)
- Explanation of Terms
- Private Recordings
In Canvas, navigate to your course page and select the Media Requests link.
Note: “Media Requests” link is greyed-out because students do not see this link
Placement of the “Media Requests” and “Panopto Recordings” links on your Canvas page may appear lower or higher on the navigation list. To adjust the relative location of links, click the “Settings” link, and then “Navigation.”
From the Media Requests link in your Canvas course, you can use the Shortcut option to to add or remove a technology request (including recording) in all meetings.
NOTE: You can add “Recording” or “Recording-Private” to all classes. If you wish to make your recording audio-only, please select that option for each individual class session.
To customize individual sessions, scroll down and use the check boxes next to each class. Be sure to click Save Changes after submitting your Media Requests.
*IMPORTANT: Please note that if you teach a hybrid class, your class is recorded by BOTH the in-room camera/mic system AND Zoom. You will have 2 recordings of your class for each class session.
*To opt-out of each type of recording, follow steps below for Zoom and Panopto recordings.
ZOOM-OPTING OUT OF AUTOMATIC RECORDING
- Zoom course calls are scheduled to be automatically recorded starting at the beginning of the call (once the Host connects to the call)
- To Opt-out of automatic recording, email email@example.com. Approval is required from deputy deans
- To change Zoom call recordings to be “Private” be default, email firstname.lastname@example.org
ZOOM-STOPPING OR PAUSING INDIVIDUAL RECORDINGS
- Instructors can stop or pause recording for individual Zoom calls by clicking the “Stop” or “Pause” buttons in Zoom
- In-person/hybrid classes held at Penn Law are schedule to be automatically recorded. Recording time is depending on registrar’s schedule.
- To opt-out of recordings, instructors can navigate to Media Requests and cancel future scheduled recordings. Uncheck the recording box, then click “Save Changes”
- See here for details: https://www.law.upenn.edu/its/docs/canvas/media-requests-and-recordings-panopto.php
“Recording” or “Record class”
Choosing “Recording” or “Record Class” initiates a recording that includes the video camera, the PC screen, and synchronized audio. When students access the recordings, they see both the camera recording and the screen recording side-by-side.
NOTE: if you want just a screen capture (and no video feed), or just a video feed (and no screen capture) please indicate this on the notes field of your media requests page.
Choosing “Make my recording audio-only” indicates that you want the video content removed from your recording. Students accessing audio recordings will see the following:
Choosing a “Private” option for either Panopto recording or Audio recording means that students will have no access to recordings unless faculty grant them access. Managing Recordings uses a different interface than the previous recording system. See the help document on “Managing Panopto Recordings” for more information on how to grant students access to individual recordings.