Files has been redesigned for a more improved user experience. The new files redesign allows users to view more details about their files, manage editing permissions, and preview files. In addition, Files is fully accessible for all keyboard users and screen readers.
- Files is now fully searchable by file name and offers quick access to add a folder or upload a file.
- The left panel shows all folders for quick navigation.
- Clicking the name of a folder displays all the contents of the folder in the right panel. For each file, users can view and sort files by name, the date the file was created and modified, the name of the person who modified the file (if modified by another user), and the size of the file.
- Files can also be published and unpublished within Files
- Note: Currently, files can only be published and unpublished within the Files page. If a file is placed in a Module, Modules only displays the state of the file; you cannot directly publish or unpublish files within the module itself.
Uploading and Permissions
- Files can be uploaded and previewed without the use of Flash. Users can view a queue of uploaded files and their status. To upload a file, click the Upload button, or drag and drop a file from the computer desktop.
- When a file is selected, Files displays the file toolbar at the top of the window.
- Users can download the file, edit the file name, share the file, delete the file, and move the file to another location.
- Users can also edit permissions for files, including setting the state of the file (published or unpublished), schedule availability dates for the files, or make files available to students who have the link.
- Users can also download, rename, move, or delete a file using the Settings icon for each individual file.
- Users can select and manage multiple files at one time.
- To move a file, users can also drag and drop the file into different file folders. Files will display the icon for the file type that is being moved.
Viewing and Previewing
- To view a file, click the file name.
- Files can also be previewed by clicking anywhere on the file information and clicking the View button in the toolbar.
- Files displays any file type that is compatible with the document previewer in Canvas.
- The preview displays the file and file information details, as well as a link to download the file.