Online seating charts provide an easy way for students to choose seats or to receive assigned seats from the instructor. Seating charts are only available for our large lecture halls.
Enable Your Seating Chart
Rooms with Seating Charts
- Gittis 1
- Gittis 2
- Gittis 213
- Gittis 214
- Golkin 100
- Silverman 240A
- Silverman 240B
- Silverman 245
- Silverman 280
- Tanenbaum 145
By default, all online seating charts are disabled. To enable your chart:
- Click the Seating Chart link in the sidebar of your Canvas course.
- Click on the Enable Seating Chart radio button.
- Choose how you would like the seats to be assigned.
- Assign Seats as the Instructor - Using the Seating Chart tool, you will be able to set manually or alphabetically assign seats for your students. Students will not be able to view the chart until the date you specify. The faculty support staff can assist with manual entry.
- Allow Students to Select Seats - Students will be able to access the Seating Chart tool during the dates you specify to select their own seats on a first-come, first-serve basis. If your classroom seats more students than you have enrolled in the class, you can block out seats to prevent students from selecting them (see below).
- Click Submit.
Important: If you enable your seating chart with the option to allow students to select their seats online, we recommend that you send a message to your class mailing list to notify your students.
Block Seats on your Seating Chart
If your classroom seats more students than you have enrolled in the class, you can block out seats to prevent students from selecting them. You should block out seats before opening the chart for seat selection.
- After enabling your seating chart, click the Launch Seating Chart button at the top of the Seating Chart page.
- Click the Block Seats button at the top of the chart.
- Click on the seats you wish to block. Red boxes are blocked and white boxes are available.
- When finished, click Save Chart
Print Your Seating Chart
The Faculty Support Staff can provide large-format printouts of your seating chart. Please provide at least 24 hours advance notice to Silvana Burgese at email@example.com, (215) 898-9497.