2. Starting the Process: Filing a Petition for a Pardon
• How Do I Apply for a Pardon?Helpful Links:
- From the PA Board of Pardons: Procuring an Application
- PA Board of Pardons Application Filing Instructions
- CLS–Getting Help, Including Nine things you should know about getting a pardon
- Sample Letter Requesting Application
Send the Board of Pardons a money order, certified check, cashier’s check, institution check, or law firm check in the amount of $8.00, made payable to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Please be advised that a personal check is not accepted. Enclose a self-addressed stamped business size envelope. Upon receipt of the $8.00 fee, you will be mailed an Application for Clemency, along with a complete set of instructions.
BOARD OF PARDONS
333 Market Street, 15th Floor
Harrisburg, PA 1712615th Floor
• How Much Does It Cost to Apply for a Pardon?
Estimated Set Costs
$08.00 - Cost of obtaining application
$00.88 - Two first-class stamps on a self-addressed business size envelope in which application is to be mailed
$25.00 - Application processing fee
$10.00 - Copy of criminal record
$43.88 Total estimated set costs
You will also need five (5) color passport-sized photos. Be sure to make copies of all documents for your own records before sending them to the Pardon Board.
To obtain copy of criminal record:
Individuals may request a copy of their criminal records for $10.00 and can find out what other individuals or companies can have legal access to these records by sending a completed copy of Form SP4-164 to the following address.
Criminal Record Repository
Bureau of Records and Information Services
Pennsylvania State Police
1800 Elmerton Avenue
Harrisburg, PA 17110
Phone: (717) 783-5588
Fax: (717) 772-3681
• Don’t I Need an Attorney in Order to Apply for a Pardon?
• Are There Organizations That Can Assist Me in Seeking a Pardon?
- Community Legal Services
- X-Offenders for Community Empowerment
- Legal Aid of Southeastern PA
- The Pennsylvania Prison Society
Community Legal Services
1424 Chestnut St.
Philadelphia, PA 19102
X-Offenders for Community Empowerment
Pardon Me Clinic Meetings are held once a month, every second Monday of the month
2231 North Broad Street from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Contact Mr. Wayne Jacobs
2540 West Hagert Street
Philadelphia, PA 19132
Legal Aid of Southeastern PA
625 Swede Street
Norristown, PA 19401
Toll Free Help Line—(877) 429-5994
The Pennsylvania Prison Society
2000 Spring Garden St.
Philadelphia, PA 19130