Skip to main content area Skip to main content area Skip to institutional navigation Skip to search Skip to section navigation


Students will apply independently to each degree through each school’s specified admission process. Penn Engineering and Penn Law will make independent judgments about each candidate.

How to apply

Students must select the appropriate Engineering Master’s degree program based on their education and experience.  Applicants with the pre-requisite Engineering background may apply for the MSE degree.  Students with no prior educational background in Engineering and Computer Science may apply for the MCIT degree.

There are two methods of applying to the joint degree program:

  • Students may apply to both schools during the same application cycle.  Only students accepted independently by both schools will be admitted into the joint degree program. In general, joint degree candidates are expected to apply initially to Penn Law and to apply to Penn Engineering after they have been accepted by Penn Law.
  • Students already enrolled at Penn Law or Penn Engineering may submit an application to the other program.

Students must take the LSAT for consideration as a Law candidate.  The GRE is required for the application to Engineering.

Financial aid

Penn Law will charge students in the joint degree program an administrative fee to be determined annually, in consultation with Penn Engineering.

Penn Engineering “home school” tuition is paid during year 2 when the student is enrolled in the Engineering curriculum, and Law School “home school” tuition is paid during years 1, 3 and 4. If a student takes courses outside of their current home school which cannot be counted toward that school’s degree, the home school may charge an additional fee to be determined annually.

Financial aid decisions are made independently by each school.  Financial aid decisions are typically made by the school to which tuition will be paid in any term.  Note that Penn Engineering does not offer any financial aid for students pursuing the master’s degree.