Supreme Court Clinic
Founded in 2009, the Supreme Court Clinic allows top Ivy League students to assist on real Supreme Court cases, including recruiting, strategizing, researching, writing briefs, participating in moot court rehearsals, and attending oral arguments at the Court itself.
Clinic students assist on real Supreme Court cases, including recruiting, strategizing, researching, writing briefs, and participating in moot court rehearsals that are held before oral arguments at One First Street.
- Founded by Judge Stephanos Bibas, former Penn Law professor, former law clerk to Justice Anthony Kennedy, and a former federal prosecutor, as well as a leading criminal procedure scholar whose work has repeatedly been cited by the Supreme Court. The Court gave him the “great honor” of appointing him to brief and argue Tapia v. United States as amicus curiae and praised him and the Clinic for doing “an exceptionally good job” on that case.
- Adjunct Professor James Feldman, former assistant to the Solicitor General, has argued 50 cases before the Supreme Court. Like Bibas, Feldman has received the “great honor” of being appointed by the Court to brief and argue a case, Levin v. United States, which he and the Clinic won unanimously.
- Co-taught by Penn Law lecturer Nancy Bregstein Gordon, former law clerk to Justice Lewis Powell and a seasoned appellate litigator.
- Co-taught by Penn Law lecturer Stephen B. Kinnaird, former clerk to Justice Kennedy and a partner with the Paul Hastings law firm, where he heads the firm’s Supreme Court and appellate litigation practice based in Washington, D.C.
- Penn Law Professor Amy Wax, former assistant to the Solicitor General (the office that represents the United States at the Supreme Court); has argued 15 cases before the Supreme Court.
“He and his team exceeded every expectation that we could have ever hoped for. Every brief that was presented to the court was meticulously researched. Every argument thoughtfully reasoned and very effectively delivered.”
“Stephanos represents his clients with the utmost professionalism and respect, and he wins the admiration of his peers and clients in doing so. He is a rare gem, and I could not recommend him more highly.”