Past PLES Conferences
- 2019: Porto, Portugal
- 2018: Munich Germany
- 2017: Reykjavik, Iceland
- 2016: Brussels, Belgium
- 2015: Rome, Italy
- 2014: Edinburgh, Scotland
- 2013: Philadelphia, PA (United States)
- 2012: Prague, Czech Republic
- 2011: Hamburg, Germany
- 2010: Vienna, Austria
- 2009: Bologna, Italy
- 2008: Oxford, England
- 2007: St. Petersburg, Russia
- 2006: Lisbon, Portugal
- 2005: Luxembourg
- 2004: Zurich, Switzerland
- 2003: Strasbourg, France
- 2002: Berlin, Germany
- 2001: Philadelphia, PA (United States)
- 2000: Amsterdam, Netherlands
- 1999: Antibes, France
- 1998: Oslo, Norway
- 1997: Milan, Italy
- 1996: London, England
- 1995: Brussels, Belgium
- 1994: Dublin, Ireland
2015 Conference: Rome, Italy
Friday June 19th to Sunday June 21st
- Arrival reception at the San Gallo ai Coronari Restaurant
- Guided tour of Central Rome including sites such as the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Spanish Steps, Piazza del Popolo, the Colosseum, and more
- Lunch at Ristorante Alfredo alla Scrofa
- Academic Panel discussing the quantative easing measures issued by the European Central Bank and their effectiveness for the improvement of the EU area’s economic crisis
- Gala dinner at the Majestic Hotel Terrace
- Guided tour of the Borghese Gallery
- Farewell lunch at Fiori di Zucca
2014 Conference: Edinburgh, Scotland
Friday June 27th to Sunday June 29th
- Drinks and Canapes at the historic Merchants’ Hall featuring live clarsach music
- Guided walking tour of the city including a tour of the Edinburgh Castle
- Lunch at Zucca Restaurant
- Guided tour and scotch tasting at the Glenkinchie Distillery
- Gala Dinner at the Winton House featuring traditional Scottish fare, a bagpipe player, and dance lessons
- Academic Panel entitled “Constitutionalism, Legitimacy and Rights- Common European visions versus national values and experience” at the Faculty of Advocates, and a tour of the Parliament House led by Penn Law alumnus Brian Gill
- Boat trip to Inchcolm Island and its ruined abbey traveling on the Maid of the Forth ferry service
- Farewell lunch at the Scotsman Hotel
2013 Conference: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Thursday May 9th to Sunday May 12th, 2013
- Welcome reception at the Pyramid Club with appetizers and drinks.
- Lunch with the Dean
- Tour of Reading Terminal.
- National Constitution Center Tour
- Gala Dinner at the Philadelphia Art Museum
- Visit of the Barnes Museum
- Good-bye brunch at the London Grill
2012 Conference: Prague, Czech Republic
Friday June 8th to Sunday June 10th, 2012
- Welcome reception at Limonadovy Joe.
- Explore Nightlife of Prague in groups or by your own and take the chance to be guided by locals.
- Guided walking tour through the historic old city including Charles Bridge and Old Town Square with Astronomical Clock.
- Lunch in the old city in the Jewish Quarter (Josefov).
- Academic Panel with representative Professors of Faculty of Law of Charles University and Penn Law. Interested Czech Students will be admitted to the Panel.
- Gala Dinner with traditional Czech food in Palffy Palac.
- Visit of the Prague Castle.
- Good-bye-lunch at the Bellavista Restaurant on the terrace.
2011 Conference: Hamburg, Germany
Friday June 17th to Sunday June 19th, 2011
PLES 2011 took place in the beautiful Free and Hanseatic city of Hamburg.
- Welcome reception at our house close to the city center with typical German food and drinks.
- Cultural Program: A guided walking tour at the historic warehouse district and the spectacular new “HafenCity” district emerging on the banks of the River Elbe.
- Lunch at the Maritime Museum.
- Academic Panel on: The Impact of Globalization on Legal Education: An International Perspective Is Increasingly Necessary In The Current Legal Environment. Matthew S. Parker Assistant Dean Graduate Programs Penn Law School. Dr. Hariolf Wenzler Provost Bucerius Law School.
- Boat trip on the Alster Lake and through Alster channels from the city center (Jungfernstieg) to the Anglo German Club.
- Gala Dinner at the Anglo German Club.
- Brunch at the clubhouse of the rowing club “Favorite Hammonia” overlooking the Alster lake.
2010 Conference: Vienna, Austria
Friday 18th to Sunday 20th June 2010
PLES 2010 took place in Vienna, the formerly Imperial city strategically positioned in the heart of Europe and nowadays a gateway to the East.
- Cocktail reception at Wolf Theiss, Vienna Office (Austrian wines and typical Austrian Heurigen food served).
- Cultural Program: a guided walking tour through downtown Vienna.
- Lunch at Acht Ein Halb, Caffé-Bar and Osteria.
- Visit of the Viennese Naschmarkt, a culinary as well as cultural hotspot in Vienna, right next to Acht Ein Halb.
- Academic programme at Wolf Theiss, Vienna.
- A tour with a historic trolley (“Tramway”) through Vienna city (Austrian wines served).
- Gala Dinner at Radisson Hotel where the trolley tour ended.
- Independent cultural programme: visit of the Belvedere castle.
2009 Conference: Bologna, Italy
Friday 19th to Sunday 21st June 2009
PLES 2009 took place in Bologna, strategically positioned in the heart of Northern Italy, which prides itself of being the seat of the first university founded in the western world - year 1088 - now the second largest in Italy.
- Welcome reception in Bologna, Caffè della Corte Restaurant,
Cocktails and stand-up dinner served.
- Walking tour of Bologna
- Lunch at Cantina Bentivoglio
- Cocktails served at Castello di Formigine
- Ballo Liscio inside castle courtyard
- Academic Panel on Cross-Border Banking Regulations at Bologna Law School. Professor Gideon Parchomowsky and Professor Marco Lamandini (Univerisity of Bologna).
- Visit at Ferrari Museum “Galleria Ferrari” in Maranello (transportation by bus from Hotels)
- Visit of award-winning local winemaker La Mancina in Montebudello, with winetasting (transportation by bus from Hotels)
2008 Conference: Oxford, England
Friday 27th to Sunday 29th June 2008
The 2008 PLES Conference was held in historic Oxford, with conference activities based in the pretty and peaceful sanctuary of Oriel College (Oxford’s fifth oldest college, founded in 1326 by King Edward II).
- Friday eve punting and dinner by the river
- Walking tour of the University, including visits to Colleges and the Bodleian Library
- Lunch at Brasenose College Academic
Panel on Comparative Enforcement of Antitrust/Competition Law:
Dr. Ariel Ezrachi, Director, Oxford Centre for Competition Law and Policy (chair), Michael Collins SC, Claudio Cocuzza, Peter Roth QC, Prof. Christopher Yoo (from Penn)
- Gala dinner in Oriel College
- Private tour and Sunday brunch in magnificent Blenheim Palace (birthplace of Sir Winston Churchill and country estate of the Dukes of Marlborough)