Spring 2001 | Fall 2000

A Message from the Dean

Our Sesquicentennial Celebration
Election 2000 in Retrospect
Like Father, Like Daughter: Rebecca Lieberman L’97
A Case Study in Pro Bono Public Service
A Legal Thriller:
Lisa Scottoline L '81

The Master Builder Retires: Professor Elizabeth S. Kelly

The Board of Overseers
Philanthropy
Symposium
Faculty Notes
Alumni Briefs
In Memoriam

End Page

Penn Law

Sandra Day O’Connor, Associate Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, addressed alumni, faculty, students and friends at the Law School’s Sesquicentennial Reception on Friday, November 17, 2000. Justice O’Connor paid tribute to Penn Law’s rich history and, in particular, to its leading role in accelerating the admission of women students at American law schools when it accepted Carrie Burnham Kilgore L’1883.

Click this image to view a larger version.

Click this image to view a larger version.The Levy Conference Center served as the hub for the gala reception. Michael A. Fitts, Dean and Bernard G. Segal Professor of Law, accepted proclamations from the Senate of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, delivered by State Senator Michael A. O’Pake L’64, and co-sponsored by Senator Charles D. Lemmond, Jr. L’55. Kenneth Trujillo L’86, City Solicitor of Philadelphia, presented a proclamation from Mayor John Street that declared November 17, 2000 “Penn Law Day” in the City of Philadelphia. This honor was heralded throughout the City from the running “ticker” high atop the PECO Energy building in Center City.

A bedecked bagpiper greeted guests arriving at the newly reopened 34h Street entrance to Silverman Hall. Historic figures such as Benjamin Franklin, Law School founder James Wilson, and the first Biddle Librarian Margaret Center Klingelsmith L’1898 roved among the revelers. A video simulcast of the remarks and presentations being made in the Levy Conference Center was relayed to four satellite locations throughout the Law School campus. In addition, a video montage of photos played throughout the buildings displaying the faculty, students, and administrators who have been the “People of Penn Law.”

Yearbooks going back nearly 80 years were on display for alumni to peruse. Computers were pre-set to display the special yearlong Sesquicentennial Website (www.law.upenn.edu/sesquicentennial) so browsers could learn more about the Law School’s buildings, history, leading figures, art collection and calendar of events.

 

Previous Page: Dedicatory Address