1790
1850
1868
1874
1888
1895
1896
1914
1929
1941
1945
1948
1952
1970
1975
1979
1982
1989
1999
2000

James Wilson
begins law lectures at the College of Philadelphia Academy Building on Arch and 4th Streets
The University of Pennsylvania
establishes a law department in a building at 9th and Chestnut Streets

George Sharswood (1810-1883)
is named the first professor of law

1852 - George Sharswood Named First Dean

University Trustees establish a Faculty of Law

LL.B. degree awarded to 30 students

American Law Register (as of the 1908 Law Review) if first published. After the Legal Intelligencer, Philadelphia's daily legal newspaper, it is the oldest continuously published legal periodical in the nation.

Elihu Spencer Miller
(1817-1879)
is named Dean
E. Coppee Mitchell C'1885
(1836-1886)
is named Dean
The faculty is expanded to five positions
First daytime classes are scheduled
1878

American Bar Association is founded

1881

Sharswood Law Club is formed to conduct Moot Courts as an exercise to learn courtroom skills.
By 1902 seven law clubs are active, in 1997 Sharswood is the last club to disband.
Carrie Burnham Kilgore L'1883 (1838-1909) is the first woman admitted to Penn Law

C.S.Patterson C'1860
(1842-1924)
is named Dean
Aaron Albert Mossell is the first black man to graduate from Penn Law
Admissions Standards are established
Professor Algernon S. Biddle introduces the case method at Penn Law
Degree program expands to three years.
1887
George Tucker Bispham
C'1858, L'1861
(1838-1906)
is named Dean
The George Biddle Memorial Library is established with an estate gift and a bequest of 5,087 volumes from the brother of Professor Algernon Sidney Biddle.
The Biddle family makes continuous donations to the collection for years to come
1891
Law Alumni Society is established
1894
Biddle Professorship is the first endowed chair established at Penn Law, and the only one until 1930
G. S. Harrison is named Interim Dean of Penn Law
1897
1897
William Ephraim Mikell is hired as the first full-time professor
Classes are held in Congress Hall in downtown Philadelphia
Development Campaign begins to raise $373,500 for the puchase of land in West Philadelphia and the construction of the Law School Building. Major benefactors include Thomas McKean, the Price Family, and Mrs. George W. Biddle
William Draper Lewis (1867-1949 is named Dean
1898
Margaret Center Klingelsmith L'1898 (1859-1931) begins 34 year career as head llibrarian of Biddle Library
LL.M. degree is first offered
Cope & Stewardson Architects begin construction of the Law School Building
 
1900
The Law School Building is dedicated and feted in ceremonies over two days in February. Attendees include U.S. Supreme Court Justice John Marshall Harlan, representatives from Cambridge and Oxford, and China's Ambassador to the United States
AALS is founded
1901
The John Marshall Law Club for women is started with three members
Herbert Funk Goodrich (1889-1962) is named Dean
1909
The Law Department is renamed and structured as the Law School
William Ephraim Mikell is named Dean
1916
U.S. enters World War I. Of 309 students that join the military, 25 are killed and 13 are wounded
1918
U.S. Navel personnel commandeer rooms of the Law School Building for study, training, and physical education of military
1919
Law School graduates 13 students
1923
William Draper Lewis is the major force behind the establishment of the American Law Institute. He is named its first director and it is located at Penn Law
1927
Sadie Turner Mossell (Alexander) is the first black woman to graduate from Penn Law School.
Edwin R. Keedy (1880-1958) is named Dean
Earl G. Harrision C'20, L'23 (1899-1955) is named Dean from Truman Administration
Owen J. Roberts C'1895, L'1898 (1875-1955) retires from the Supreme Court and is named Dean
Faculty Additions
Louis B. Schwartz W'32, L'35 (1948)
Noyes Leech C'43, L'48 (1950)
A. Leo Levin (1950)

Jefferson Barnes Fordham (1905-1997) is named Dean
Faculty Additions
Clarence Morris (1953)
Caleb Foote (1953)
Covey T. Oliver (1953)
Curtis Reitz C'51, L'56 (1957)
Howard Lesnick (1960)
Anthony G. Amsterdam L'60 (1962)
Bernard Wolfman C'46, L'48
James O. Freedman (1964)
Robert A. Gorman (1965)
Robert H. Mundheim (1965)
1955
Law School undertakes $2.5 million fundraising campaign for facilities
1957
A. Leo Levin intrduces the course Trail of an Issue of Fact and holds class seminars at his home
1958
Roberts and Pepper dormitories and Stern dining hall open. They are demolished in 1992 to make room for Tanenbaum Hall.
1963
The new wings of Roberts and Pepper Halls are opened on the site of the former tennis courts. Attendees at opening include U.S. Supreme Court Cheif Justice Earl Warren & Associate Justices William J. Brennan, Jr. & John Marshall Harlan.
1968
Twelve of 26 faculty members, along with 137 students, sign an anti-war statement circulating throughout American law schools. Student activists write "Proposal for Change" advocating for reforms in faculty teaching methods and curriculum. In response, the Law School opens facutly meetings in 1969 to include two student representatives, and in 1972 gives them voting power.
JD/M.C.P. degree is first offered.
1969
Martha Aluschuler Field
is the first woman to join the faculty
Robert A. Gorman conducts research and a survey the results in a massive curriculum reform proposal.
Edward V. Sparer joins the faculty and stats the Health Law Project
Bernard Wolfman (1924- ) is named Dean
1974
Hon. A. Leon Higginbotham, Jr. joins the adjunct faculty and introduces his course Race, Racism, and American Law
Lewis H. Pollak (1922 - )
is named Dean
1975
Nancy Bregstein L'76 is named the first woman editor-in-chief of the Law Review
Ralph Smith is the first black man to join the faculty

James O. Freedman
(1935 - ) is named Dean
Faculty Additions
Stephen Burbank (1979)
Seth Kreimer (1979)

Robert H. Mundheim (1933 - ) is named Dean
Faculty Additions
C. Edwin Baker (1982)
Michael Wachter (1982)
Michael A. Fitts (1985)

Friedrich Kubler (1985)
Charles W. Mooney, Jr. (1986)
Bruce Mann (1987)
Charles W. Mooney, Jr.
(1947 - ) is named interim Dean

Colin S. Diver (1943 - )
is named Dean
70 hour mandatory public service requirement is established

University of Pennsylvania undertakes a $1 billion capital campaign. The Law School surpasses its $45 million goal by forty percent

1993
Nicole E. Tanenbaum Hall is dedicated and opened. Funded with a gift from Myles Tanenbaum W'52, L'57 the building houses the Biddle Law Library, student journal offices, seminar and class rooms, and a cafeteria.
1993
1995
Howard Gittis W'55, L'58 funds the renovaton of the first floor of Lewis Hall to provide professional offices for the Clinical Program
1998
Institute for Law and Philosophy is established
Henry Silverman L'64 makes a gift of $15 million, at the time the largest outright gift ever to an American law school. The gift funds renovations to Lewis Hall and provides for a professorship, legal research, and scholarships.

Michael A. Fitts is named Dean
2000
Lewis Hall is rededicated after a two year period of renovation
The Levy Conference Center, funded by Paul (L'72) and Karen Levy, is opened in the former Sharswood Hall. It offers a multi-media conference and meeting facility.
Faculty Additions
Michael S. Knoll
Catherine T. Struve
R. Polk Wagner
Journal Home